Author Topic: What type of Scrollsaw is best  (Read 5059 times)

Ken0122

Re: What type of Scrollsaw is best
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 07:11:33 pm »
Thank you all ;D

Looks like its the  Dewalt 788

Ken

ripchief

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 07:56:05 pm »
Dewalt is definitely the most popular...Most popular may or may not be the best, for you...I'm definitely not saying that there is anything wrong with the Dewalt...I just want to point out a couple of things that may or may not influence what is the "best" saw for each individual...Let me preface this with a disclaimer that I use a Dremel, but I am looking to upgrade, but haven't settled on a particular model.

Dewalt - one of only two saws that use the parallel link system (Excalibur is the other)...The claimed advantage to this design is that the parallel link reduces vibration, because only the ends of the arms move up and down (the rest of the arm moves horizontally)...Unlike some of the more entry level saws, the Dewalt has a larger capacity (20")...Most of the entry level saws are 16" and below...The current model is made in Taiwan

Excalibur - basically it's a Dewalt on steroids...It was designed by the same company as the Dewalt back when both saws were made in Canada...They both use the same parallel link system (in fact, I've heard that certain parts are interchangeable between the two saws)...The Excalibur's claim to fame is that it is the only saw on the market where the saw body tilts, instead of the table...This might make bevel cuts easier than working against gravity...The price is slightly higher than the Dewalt, but from what I've heard, it's worth the difference when considering both saws...The Excalibur comes in two models (21" and 30")...The 30" is currently the largest capacity saw on the market...The current model is also made in Taiwan

Hegner - Not sure what exactly is the real advantage, but I've heard that it is commonly used by more "professional" scroll sawers...It supposedly has less front-to-back movement than all other commercial saws on the market (0.006") except for the Eclipse...The price is high to extremely high (the lowest price is around $1200, and the more expensive models run over $2000)...One disadvantage that I see is that the dust blower is angled such that it blows directly at the operator...This saw is made in Germany, which some may or may not see as an advantage.

Eclipse - This is the only saw on the market that uses a belt system, rather than an arm system...As such, the blade holder pistons travel in a true vertical fashion...Additionally, the design is such that if a blade breaks, the saw will sense that the blade suspension system has lost tension, and will automatically shut off...Another difference with the Eclipse and other saws is that the blade stroke is 1 1/2 inches, rather than the typical 3/4" to 7/8" used by other saws...Some say that this could be either an advantage or a disadvantage; depending who you talk to...The Eclipse is built in Virginia, and runs $1750.

There are obviously other models out there, but the ones that I've listed are the ones that I hear the most about (other than the entry level saws, and a few others that I haven't considered)...As for which is best, I think it all depends...What is your price range? Do you use it more for hobby, or for profit?  What features are most important to you?

Being most popular may not directly equate to being "the best"...Do you remember your mom ever asking you, "if everyone jumped off a cliff, would you have to do it too"?

Offline budprine

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 06:24:10 pm »
I've been thru a Craftsman, then a Hitachi and now a DeWalt.  I see no reason to go any further the Dewalt does everything I want is very easy to use.  IMHO
best regards,

Bud Prine

garyinnevada

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 04:20:57 pm »
Without a doubt, the RBI Hawk is the best saw there is.

KENINLEX

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 10:37:52 pm »
I've had a 16 in Craftsmen for several years now. It still works ok but felt time to upgrade. I just picked up a used RBI220 vs for $400. I've done a few test patterns and really like it. I'll be heading back to Lex soon and look forward to moving the Creftsman out and the RBI in.
Upward an onward.

Ken

SMF

Teknoromi