Author Topic: Proxxon 2 Speed Saw.....has anyone ever used one...any info etc?  (Read 2611 times)

Keith Sharples

Proxxon 2 Speed Saw.....has anyone ever used one...any info etc?
« on: February 02, 2015, 04:06:37 pm »
Hi Folks!  Some of you may have seen a previous post where I said I had my saw (RSS16E from Axminster, UK) ordered.  I did...but it seems that it can't be supplied until lord knows when, so I'm looking at the Proxxon DHS 2 Speed Scroll saw. 
Has anyone here ever used one?...all the online reviews seem to suggest the only problem it has is the blade chuck screws "round out" after a while, though these are easily available and cost under ?1 UK each (about $1 US) & I dare say that these could even be replaced with thumb screws quite easily.

Any info/feedback from anyone who has used this saw would be good.   :)

Here is a link to the saw I'm talking about:   http://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-dsh-2-speed-scroll-saw

Thanks!

Keith.  (Norfolk, England)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
Re: Proxxon 2 Speed Saw.....has anyone ever used one...any info etc?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:33:06 pm »
I live in the U.S.A. and my saw looks quite similar to what you are asking about.  I love it because of Religious reasons.  I'm a Devout Cheapskate!!
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/saws/c-9082.htm  Scroll to "Performax 16"    To see things that you can do with an inexpensive saw, click "Gallery" on this site, go to page 2 and look at things by jerry1939.  It uses a cap screw with an allen head & a T shaped wrench to clamp the blades.  Eventually the inside of the top cap screw wears round and needs to be replaced.  I watched this video & now use it for the top clamp:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxHRYPCJtzQ   A bicycle shop sold me the used part for 1 dollar.  Then I had to saw off most of the shaft and paid a machine shop $7.50 to thread it.

LOVE IT.  Should have done it sooner.

My saw is variable speed.  Don't know about a 2 speed, however, I usually set the speed and let it there.

jerry

Offline Proxprof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 03:50:49 pm »
I have this saw with variable speed. For about 7-8 years as I bought my saw they were also available with variable speed.
I don't know since when they're not sold anymore but now they're only available with two-speed.

I am completely satisfied with this saw; it's complete, wasn't too expensive, runs calmly.
In this time I once had to renew the balloon for the dustblower and the screws for fixating the sawblades were lame once.
I got some new ones, from stainless steel and the problem was solved.

I have to say, I never worked with another saw, but for this price I believe you have a good saw.
I never regretted it.

Keith Sharples

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 08:24:49 pm »
Well Folks, I BOUGHT IT!!  I read as many reviews as I could find on line, and the ONLY reported problem was the Blade Clamp screws rounding out.  MINE...rounded out after only 4 blade changes!...BUT, they are a standard screw, and I bought 20 today for just ?1.50 UK (about $2 US) from a local hardware shop.  The saw itself is GREAT!  There's NO blade deflection, minimal vibration, and constant stroke speed even in wood of 20mm thickness (3/4 inch), and the motor hardly gets warm even after an hour of quite intensive sawing.

Am I happy with the saw?...YOU BET! 

Now it's a case of Practice, Practice, & more Practice...but I'm enjoying every moment of it!   ;D

Keith. (Norfolk, England)

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 09:15:34 pm »
Hi Keith,

If you scroll up, you can read my first post.  Some people want the bells and whistles, some are perfectly happy without.  I once heard that it's a good thing that we don't all think alike, otherwise every guy would chase after the same woman.

Hope you like you saw as well as I like mine.

jerry

Keith Sharples

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 06:48:35 am »
I have this saw with variable speed. For about 7-8 years as I bought my saw they were also available with variable speed.
I don't know since when they're not sold anymore but now they're only available with two-speed.

I am completely satisfied with this saw; it's complete, wasn't too expensive, runs calmly.
In this time I once had to renew the balloon for the dustblower and the screws for fixating the sawblades were lame once.
I got some new ones, from stainless steel and the problem was solved.

I have to say, I never worked with another saw, but for this price I believe you have a good saw.
I never regretted it.

When I was looking at the Proxxon, what I found was that the Variable Speed model appears to be available for 110v power regions only, and here in the UK we use a 230-240v supply.  I could have imported one (though would have been quite costly as this would probably incur import tax!) and run it from a transformer, but I didn't.
I'm very happy with the saw (now as I have replaced the blade clamp screws...the original ones are prone to rounding out as they seem to be made of soft metal) and enjoying learning the art of scrolling.  I'm not up to the standards of most others on here, but we all had to learn at one time, and I'm practicing as much as possible.  I WILL do this!!  ;)

Keith (Norfolk, England)

SMF

Teknoromi