Author Topic: Using Cedar  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Using Cedar
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:54:34 am »
Good day,

I have obtained a nice quantity of red cedar and have a few ideas for scrolling with this wood.

Looking for information regarding using red cedar, any precautions, suggestions, etc.

I usually use a filter mask, but admittedly not always, and find the odor of the cedar to be quite pleasant.  I have planed a piece down to 1/2 inch.

Ideas?
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Re: Using Cedar
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 11:41:39 am »
I buy eastern red cedar by the pickup load full about every 9 months or so.  I make boxes with inlayed images on the  hinged lids.  I get rough 1"x 8" x 96" boards and resaw and plane them to 3/8" thickness for these 11" x 8" x 2 1/2" deep boxes.  What sells these boxes is the smell.  The buyers all sniff them before buying.  I do not put a finish on the inside of the boxes for this reason.  I have a dust collection system and a ceiling hung air filter.  I also wear a canister type face mask when doing the sanding on cedar.  My shop still has a red hue to it from all the cedar dust.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

daliclimbs

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:19:42 pm »
Cedar works Great for a lot of projects. People love the red and pinkish hues. And of course they go nuts over the smell. I don't use any specific precautions with cedar, I treat  it like any other wood. All sawdust is a carcinogen, and dust collection and protection should always be followed.. that being said, my best luck with cedar projects has always been boxes and small furniture items. I leave them unfinished for the smell.. I make a lot of small cedar knitting boxes that always sell..

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:01:30 pm »
I made a Cedar sewing box for my wife about 25 years ago, there is no metal in it at all, wooden hinges as well (Iroko Hinges). She has given up sewing now and the box still in working order has been passed on to no 2 daughter, still smelling of freshly sharpened pencils. It is soft and works well and is a favourite for T & G sheds. the bugs hate the taste and it lasts forever, ask the German Members, they are a must have over there. You are  lucky to have it, it is dearer than rocking horse poo over here in the UK.    Iggy
Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:51:45 pm »
You are  lucky to have it, it is dearer than rocking horse poo over here in the UK.    Iggy
??  ???
Dan In Southern California

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 04:14:12 am »
Sorry Dan, it?s an English thing. Since rocking horses don?t Poo, owning a piece of it would be worth a fortune, like owning a piece of moon-rock. Just our way of saying it is expensive. Last time I priced it, it was about 3 times as dear as Hemlock.  Iggy
Frustration is the food of invention.

thumbs

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 07:38:50 am »
the last time I was in Kentucky I bought about 100 BF from a guy on craigslist for less than a dollar a bf- drove home to Iowa with the headlights looking for space ships--the cedar is great for band saw boxes --Richard aka thumbs

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 08:34:57 am »
I like making Christmas ornaments out of cedar.  Leave them unfinished so the cedar smell is noticeable while hanging on the tree.

dankc908

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 08:51:26 am »
the last time I was in Kentucky I bought about 100 BF from a guy on craigslist for less than a dollar a bf- drove home to Iowa with the headlights looking for space ships--the cedar is great for band saw boxes --Richard aka thumbs

Richard -

If you want to sell any of this cedar I'd pick it up!

Dan

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 07:55:32 am »
My only caution about using cedar is if you are using thin (up to 1/4") in fret work - it can be fairly fragile.  Watch out for grain direction and really fine lines - DAMHIKT.
Cathy
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

SMF

Teknoromi