Author Topic: Putting Patterns on Wood  (Read 2705 times)

zgrimsley

Putting Patterns on Wood
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »
How do yall put your patterns on wood? I cover it all with blue painters tape and then use glue to glue the pattern to the tape. Is there a better way?

Thanks

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: Putting Patterns on Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:04:17 pm »
i use painters rape as will but i have the green tape not the blue i don't know ir there's a difference in them besides the color. i bought self stick mailing labels at staples or any good office supply store. print my patterns on them stick them on and good to go.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 02:04:55 pm »
I really like the painters tape, but I have also used masking tape or packing tape also. What I use sort of depends on what I have on hand and how long the tape is going to sit on the wood. When I make my jewelry pieces they are small with relatively few cuts, fairly stable and will go through lots of sanding, the tape is on the wood for no more then a couple of hours (depending on how many pieces I am making in a batch) so regular masking or packing tape is ok (and cheaper then painters tape). When doing fretwork portraits they are larger, take longer, are more fragile and generally won't be sanded any more then I have to, I use painters tape. The painters tape comes off cleaner when left on longer (even weeks) and is gentler to remove (no broken bits when taking the tape off.

I use glue sticks (think elementary school crafts) to put my patterns on. Many people use spray glue which works really well but needs a well ventilated space. I live in Minnesota and my well ventilated space is freezing most of the time and I don't like going outside in that. I also find that glue sticks work really well for small patterns like the ones I use for my jewelry pieces. I sometimes go over the pattern with a layer of packing tape. It holds down the edges of the pattern and lets me start cutting before all the glue drys.

daliclimbs

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:36:35 pm »
I cover the face of my wood blank with painters tape. Then spray the back of my pattern with spray adhesive. Wait thirty seconds for the adhesive to tack up, then place that on top if the tape. Then I cover it with clear packing tape. If I am using painters tape on birch ply I give the wood a light coat of shellac before application this prevents the wood grain from pulling up when I remove the tape and pattern..

Waddawood

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:56:50 pm »
I use carbon paper and trace the pattern onto the wood

Sunlion

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 02:57:53 pm »
I have used A4 printer friendly labels, (basically A4 sticky backed paper) to good effect in conjunction with covering with cellotape, ie packageing tape. Coming from a Pyrography angle I am used to designing on paper then either transfering to wood via carbon [paper or designing striaght to wood, so this way suits me. On comlex celtic designs, which I enjoy I would use those labels, probaly mixing pyro and scrollwork. On less some patterns, say portraits then I can print them after designing in an application.

I may also use other methods depending on what I am trying to achieve. basically I would try several different ways and tailor them to suit what works best for you. There's more than one way to skin a cat as the saying goes. mmmm not that I have mind. :p

Sunlion

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 03:07:57 pm »
Forgot to add. I use white spirits to take the paper off after cutting and then another wipe with spirits to clear any residue.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »
I tried packing tape and gluing the pattern to the packing tape but prefer using the blue painters tape as I find it easier to remove than the packing tape.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

tux_linux

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 07:07:08 am »
Packing tape is good on hard wood as beech e.g. It lubricates more.

For other wood I use painters tape. And printed labels or the spray adhesive.

dankc908

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 07:16:44 am »
I use "full sheet" labels from onlinelabels.com (stock #OL175WX) and have beev VERY happy with the results.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:18:20 am by dankc908 »

Mainewoods

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 07:42:36 am »
I use "full sheet" labels from onlinelabels.com (stock #OL175WX) and have beev VERY happy with the results.

With shipping, these work out to about 15 cents a piece!  That's not bad at all.  Other places want almost a dollar a sheet.  Might have to change tactics now!

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 08:42:09 am »
I use the blue painters tape like you do, I tried the  clear packing tape at first but  found it a bit harder to remove than the blue tape so blue tape for me.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Sunlion

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 09:08:08 am »

With shipping, these work out to about 15 cents a piece!  That's not bad at all.  Other places want almost a dollar a sheet.  Might have to change tactics now!

I use these (from Amazon UK), maybe worthwhile checking Amazon US see what they are with shipping too and compare prices.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheets-adhesive-210x297mm-compatible-Printers/dp/B003ID7GQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325167445&sr=8-1  Laser and Inkjet printer friendly.

Offline skip

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 11:39:54 am »
i use the glue sticks  from walmart   works for me

tux_linux

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 12:06:05 pm »
but skip, the glue stick does leave no good visible traces. How do you know where to cut? ;D

SMF

Teknoromi