Author Topic: spraying laquer in basement  (Read 2160 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
spraying laquer in basement
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:00:19 pm »
Rather cold here in Wi, spraying causes the whole house to smell...any suggestions?   Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: spraying laquer in basement
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:36:36 pm »
DON'T DO IT.  Unless you have a venting system (spray booth), that would vent the gases/spray to the outside I would be very careful. Not only are you exposing you and your family to the fumes but we could be talking about the fumes causing an explosion with the heating system. I am not sure how much you are doing but I would not take the chance unless you had some type of ventilation set up to be spraying inside the basement. Spray lacquer is very volatile in the right concentrations, not to mention it is not healthy to you or your family if you are smelling it in the whole house  :o

So my suggestion a venting system (spray booth/made for flammable vapors), that would vent the outside.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:59:04 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:54:55 pm »
I like lacquer and shellac, but in your situation I would switch temporarily to a water born finish until I could either get outside again or find a sheltered location you can raise the temperature in safely and away from the house.  Russ is absolutely right!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »
I had the same problem when I lived in Mi. I then crudely built a box with a small bathroom fan connected to a clothes dryer vent hose. I removed one pane of the basement window, installed a dryer exhaust valve and used that. It worked very well, was safe and no fumes in the house. Only cost me about $30 or so. I actually ended up using it year round.
Bill 

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:27:32 pm »
Lacquer is pretty nasty stuff.  Without proper and adequate ventilation, I would avoid it in the basement.  I agree with the suggestion of switching to a waterborne product for spraying inside and I would still want to have at least some means of ventilating the area.

One advantage to shellac is that it can be sprayed in cold weather.  Can't be too damp, but cold temperatures don't adversely affect it like many other finishes.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:07:21 pm »
Bill, you are right about dampness and shellac!  I sprayed a piece of furniture I made with a few coats yesterday and the last coat went on too late.  The evening dew set in and this morning it had a white blush like a coat of paint.  I resprayed the area with denatured alcohol once the sun was on it and it cleared right up.  Lacquer will blush with dampness to.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 09:04:33 pm »
Thanks all, I have mostly been very careful spraying only a small amount but you have me sufficiently concerned, I had a couple Christmas presents that I sprayed today and it was more than I know I should have used!! I will be more careful from now on! :-[ :-[   Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:19:02 am »
I spray in the basement but I have mounted an old kitchen hood ventilation system in the basement with some 4,3" grey pluming pipes to outside.
always spray under the hood and that works fine.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi