Author Topic: pinned blades  (Read 2033 times)

AL

pinned blades
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:12:40 am »
I recently acquired a scroll saw. i wasn't even looking for it. i wanted to buy a mini lathe and the guy threw in the saw cause he was looking to get rid of both, pretty cool.  but the saw is Ace brand and has pinned blades.  is that bad? they are tough to thread but easy to change. also, it seems like i can clamp in a non pinned blade.  i tried and it slips out.  are machines strictly pinned or not or are there saws that well take both pinned and non pinned blades?

Seer

Re: pinned blades
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:18:06 am »
Pinned blades will limit you because of the size and the pin.  If you are trying to fo intricate inside cutting they will not work because of the hole you will have to drill to get the blade in.  If you doing outside cuts they should work ok depending on the cuts.  My saw takes both but I only use the pinless types.

Dan

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:40:18 am »
I have read that you can knock the pin out on one end to feel it through small holes. then insert a safty pin in the blade to lock the blade in place.

Dan

Ugsduck

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »
Hi Al - If you post the model no etc of the scroll saw then "those who know these things" could probably tell you if pinless blades can be used or if there are add on clamps that could be fitted.

cherie

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:18:25 pm »
If possible, there are blade holders that you can buy to replace the pinned blades. I had one on my Dremel and took it off after I figured out how to set the pinless blades.  And my blades that had pins, well I yanked them right out and used them.  LOL

rwb

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 03:29:45 pm »
pinless blades are better if it was up to me i would do away with pinned blades

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:02:18 pm »
I have read that you can knock the pin out on one end to feel it through small holes. then insert a safty pin in the blade to lock the blade in place.

Dan

I don't think the idea of a sharp pin flying around if the blade breaks is a good idea....Just my opinion....
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Nathan

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 03:34:51 pm »
Is it possible to slip the pin out of the holes in the top and bottom of the blade, insert it into the hole, then re-attach the pin, or is the pin welded in there?  Also, I've been looking around for a saw that takes plain-end blades, and the cheapest I've found was $120.  Anybody find anything cheaper?

wllcpenney

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:11:26 pm »
i have an mastercraft model that can take pinned and non pinned blades, they have little notch for the pins to hook in and a screw for clamping in non pinned blades.

hi Nathan if you live in canada you can get one at canadain tire they are always on sale for $69, reg $120.

UHMNL

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 08:58:24 pm »
Al,
 "it seems like i can clamp in a non pinned blade.  i tried and it slips out."
Try to clean the inside of the clamp with some alcohol or paint thinner, there might be a little oil build up. It is also good to use some fine sand paper after you cleaned it.
Mike

bill g

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 12:23:01 pm »
al check your messages i sent you info on that saw if its the same one i have it is an easy fix

bill g

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 12:28:27 pm »
oh and yes if it is the same saw it will hold pin and plain blades

SMF

Teknoromi