Author Topic: Begginer needs help  (Read 1735 times)

AL

Begginer needs help
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:19:51 pm »
Hello.  I am knew to scroll sawing.  I recently acquired a saw because it was included with a Jet lathe that i wanted from a guy.  I nice bonus, the guy just want rid of both.  I cant seem to get the hang of it.  One of the main things that bugs me is i cannot cut a straight line at all.  I know about the tendency for the blade to go diagonal by nature of the manufacturing process, but still cannot get.  Its frustrating cause i really would like to make some of the great patterns is see on this site but cant control the saw.  I worry that the machine might be part of the problem - it is an ACE brand 16".  ACE seems like a lower line of tools.  Any suggestion or tips would be greatly appreciated.

alex

AL

Re: Begginer needs help
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:26:48 pm »
Also to my disadvantage is my blades. i can only find the ones at the ace store and they have no reverse teeth.  can i order the flying dutchman with pins.  i think my machine only accepts pinned blades cause i cannot get the unpinned to clamp and stay in with tension.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:50:51 pm »
When you say ace, ace as in Ace Hardware? If so what is the model number. Also I don't think Mike (Flying Dutchman) makes pinned blades. They are not listed on his web site.  8)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:25:56 pm by Russ[C] »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:03 pm »
Hi Alex,
Most blade have a little burr on the right side, this makes the blade cut to the right. You have to move the wood some degree to the right to cut a straight line. Have good tension, good speed and don't push too hard into the blade, let the blade do the cutting.
I don't sell pin blades, if that what the saw is asking for. You could check with this company if they have replacement clamps, so you can use pin-less blades.
http://www.pozsgaidesigns.com/
Mike

Denny

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:45:00 pm »
Don't give up, practice, practice & practice some more.  There are many books out there to help you understand the art.  I'm sure you will get right sooner than later.  Good Luck.

SMF

Teknoromi