Author Topic: is there a (dust) doctor in the house??  (Read 2925 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
is there a (dust) doctor in the house??
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:05:25 am »
I use a cheap (2/$5) mask every time I turn on the saw but lately I have been scrolling more than usual and don't know if it's a summer cold of sorts or the saw, for about 5 days my throat and chest have been congested, doesn't feel like a cold - anyone else ever have this problem? Maybe a better mask??
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Rightarm

Re: is there a (dust) doctor in the house??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:52:04 am »
    I do when I cut walnut. Bad sinus infection. You might need a respirator. I think you can get a cheap one at Harbour Freight. If not your locale auto-parts house will have them. Get you one and wear it. Take it from somebody thats spent alot of money at the doctors office! Dave 8)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 02:51:01 pm »
so if any, what mask is best, the 3M looks good, if I order today on prime shipping I'll have it Tues.  LOL

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:36:44 pm »
Do you wear glasses when sawing?
Biggest problem I have had is the 'cheap' particulate paper masks cause severe 'fogging' when I use them. Like you I have been doing more and have experienced some discomfort especially using p'wood with the MDF core!

Keep us posted as to which you get and how it works out.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

boxmaker

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 07:34:51 pm »
I never liked the paper mask, Just like Graybeard says they tend to fog your glasses and I never could really get a good seal anyway. Here is a link to the type I use, they are priced reasonable and you can buy the replacement filters almost anywhere.

http://shopngarage.com/

Mark

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 07:37:52 pm »
I have to take my glasses off, near sighted you know, so fogging isn't a problem but I am leaning toward the 3M respirator it's less expensive and the replacement filters are only $5 compared to $14 for some of the others I've seen, I'll keep you posted

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:36:08 am »
I use the pocket MXV dust mask.  I get them at woodcraft, although I have seen them elsewhere.  They fit well and do not fog the glasses.  They are also reuseable and soft.  MXV stands for max exhalation valve.  You don't get that hot breath, sweaty face when using them. That's important to me as I am in Texas and our heat index has been around 113 degrees for the past couple of weeks.
I have a bad habit of not wearing them all the time.  I tend to get sinus infections due to the saw dust so when I forget to use my dust mask or just have a very heavy sanding day, I use a netty pot.
Netty Pots have been around for centuries.  I don't get sinus infections any more.  They are available at most drugstores and health food stores.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 07:54:47 am »
Here is a Wood Toxicity Chart. You might find this useful and informative.I know I have posted this in other threads.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 08:12:58 am »
Thanks Russ. You made me think, I should be more dedicated in wearing a dustmask I think, but like GB my glasses tend to fog up and I get all hot and sweatie in one. Sometimes think I get more clogged up wearing one than not using one. Must have the wrong kind, will have a look around here And see if there are beter once around, must be.
David

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 04:20:10 pm »
By the best mask you can get as if you have respiratory problems you will need it they are not expensive and you will not regret it, I have several and wear them for wood that gives me problems if they fog your gasses take them off and wipe them
Jimbo

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 05:25:41 pm »
Jimbo...last winter I tried the 'paper' masks in the semi-heated garage! To continue to use them I would have to install 'windshield' wipers! Very cool garage and 98 degree breath loaded with moisture forms heavy clouds of fog!

I am looking at the latest and greatest of masks now and have narrowed it down to about a $30 USD purchase that is suitable for those of us with 'facial hair'! Replaceable cartridges and the works.

Meanwhile that 20" industrial strength fan I have blowing across the table top helps keep the dust off my face as well as keeps me somewhat cooler. Have to sweat a lot to really get cool and right now that is not hard to do!
91 today in the shade of the garage.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Becky

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:04:06 pm »
Steve blogged about the Dust Bee Gone dust mask a while back.  http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2010/04/dust-bee-gone-mask-initial-review.html

It was fairly pricey but I got one because of the fogging glasses problem.  it works!

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 03:32:51 am »
Becky you are rite on the Dust be gone, I have mentioned this before, we pay $75NZ it will be a lot cheaper in the U.S. I also have the canister type and that is good also, but seek advise from your local safety shop, the dust be gone can be purchased at most wood craft stores, a fan that blows the dust away must have an  extracter to take the dust away from the work shop
Jimbo

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 08:46:51 pm »
Well I ended up buying an MSA Safety Works respirator, $20, with Prime the shipping was free on Amazon, used it all day today, is a very tight fit yet comfortable, glasses fogging is no problem, still have my "cold" after a week, hope this helps, wife is getting fed up w/me spitting up phlegm in the toilet.
Sorry, as the kids would say, "tmi" (too much information)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 08:59:26 pm »
Those are actually good respirators. I have used them before. I am fortunate I don't wear glasses.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi