Author Topic: Sanding Blades  (Read 1643 times)

Offline 3Dface

• getting hooked on wood.
    • View Profile
Sanding Blades
« on: November 09, 2017, 10:55:49 am »
does anyone use them, are they worth the price, and what is the best brand?

or are there files that are good?

thanks all
you people here are great.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
Re: Sanding Blades
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 01:25:34 pm »
I've never used them, but have always been skeptical that they were of much practical use.  First off, you can't thread them through very small openings, so you are limited to where they can be used.  Second, I think it's best to focus on using the proper blade and practicing your technique, so as to eliminate the need or at least significantly minimize the amount of sanding required.  I do use some small files, with various profiles, to clean up some areas that may require a little tweaking.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 04:32:04 pm »
I have an old Craftsman Scrollsaw that uses pin blades.  If you leave it alone it will vibrate off the bench so I have the sanding file loaded up and when doing intarsia I have used when I need just a little bit off.

I had the pin files but di not find much use.

I have a small set of files that I got at Harbor Freight and use all the time to get that last fuzzy I missed.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:43:06 pm »
Make your own sanding blades, cut strips of sandpaper what size you want but go double width so you cut one at 1/2 inch fold it half mount it up in the clamps and start sanding. I can tell you I tried this adn went to slow speed to about half speed it does work, but a big PIA you pretty are going back like you are cutting and if its alot of inside cuts its well........you get the picture.

Go to harbor freight get some needle files to sand the inside cuts if needs be its what I did just cleaned the really noticable spots.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:26:38 pm »
Another alternative is to use a propane torch to VERY LIGHTLY burn the fuzzies off from the back side of
the project. Most of the fuzzies should be on the back side of the work piece and you can see them
very quickly burn off if you are careful to leave the flame in one place very long.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline 3Dface

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 11:00:21 pm »
thanks guys....
still a newbie and learning from you all.

i am thankful i found steve and he lead me to you guys.

Offline 3Dface

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 12:22:16 pm »
does anyone use them, are they worth the price, and what is the best brand?

or are there files that are good?

thanks all
you people here are great.

you never stop learning!!!!

this sounds strange to me so must really sound that way to pros....

i am working on the Beatles and putting tape to hold cut pieces in place.  when i lift off the blade i also reach under and hold pieces ... i found today if i use my orbital sander with the cut pieces still in place it takes care of all the hairy wood i have been trying to sand later.

well George and Ringo are done but still have to do Paul and John.... sooo off to cut.... later taters!

SMF

Teknoromi