Author Topic: Glue????  (Read 2690 times)

Offline 3Dface

• getting hooked on wood.
    • View Profile
Glue????
« on: November 07, 2017, 09:39:40 am »
i have found i love doing portraits. i have been using 10" x 8" Luan and putting the wood in a frame so glue has not been an issue.
well i have started doing larger projects and am not having luck with glue.
outside edges are not an issue because if i get squeeze out a flush trim bit works fine.
BUT on my inside fret work i either don't use enough and the part just kinda floats there OR it has just enough to squeeze out and mess up the backer,

any help would be welcomed.

3 stack cut yesterday 1 had squeeze out and this one only the left cheek stuck.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Re: Glue????
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:10:09 pm »
I use white wood glue on all my projects but I do not do any fretwork,.  It dries clear if it is not too thick.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline 3Dface

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:57:48 pm »
thanks jim

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 10:07:56 pm »
I use Titebond Translucent.  It come out white but dries clear.

I also use only a very little bit.  I apply with what is called glue accordion dispensers.

Got my first set at Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20004&cat=1,110,42967,

I got another set at another store (Woodchuckers) cheaper.

Don

Offline 3Dface

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 10:33:32 am »
thank you Don

Offline Shufflex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 11:43:15 am »
Asking for help is not a weakness

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 05:19:17 pm »
Hi, 3DFace,
On fretwork pieces with lots of small areas, I just apply the glue with a q-tip cotton swab.
I've used all the glues mentioned in these replies but, usually buy a huge bottle of
Elmers carpenters glue and then re-fill a smaller bottle. Saves money.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline 3Dface

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 09:07:22 pm »
Hi, 3DFace,
On fretwork pieces with lots of small areas, I just apply the glue with a q-tip cotton swab.
I've used all the glues mentioned in these replies but, usually buy a huge bottle of
Elmers carpenters glue and then re-fill a smaller bottle. Saves money.
God Bless! Spirithorse
thanks Spirithorse.
i use elmers glue. the issue it with the squeezed glue left on the backer is visible after drying when i do add too much..

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 11:17:04 am »
I do it somewhat differently.  I use flat black poster board for my backer.  I turn the finished picture upside down, tape off where I don't want glue and I spray the back of the picture with a light coat of adhesive spray. Then I lay the backer in place.  If it is a piece that will not be framed, I may put a piece of masking tape around the edge of the backer, taping it to the picture also, just for added insurance.  I have not lost but one backer.  It came loose because I had finish on the back of the picture. 
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 01:35:09 pm »
Glue squeeze out is the bane of all woodworkers.  For applying backers, you need to determine just how much glue is really necessary and where it should be applied.  The entire back of the piece does not need to have glue on it.  I use a white glue, that dries clear, but use it sparingly.  If the piece is relatively small, I use Aleene's Tacky glue.  It's a little thicker than regular white glue, so you can use a toothpick to apply it, if you want and sets up pretty quick.  If the piece is large, and I need more open time, I'll use Elmers White glue.  Again, applying it with the smallest utensil I can, that will do the job.  I've used small, cheap artist brushes with good results.

If there are really small, delicate areas that I want to apply glue, I'll save them for last and use a tiny bit of gel CA glue, just in those spots.  The CA glue is easier to get pinpoint control, but it sets up very quick, so that's why I use it only where necessary and right before I'm ready to apply the backer.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

SMF

Teknoromi