Author Topic: Sales  (Read 1782 times)

Offline 3Dface

• getting hooked on wood.
    • View Profile
Sales
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:43:33 pm »
i have been scrolling about a year and have turned my focus to portraits. some people have seen my work and asked about the cost to do one for them... now for my question... what is the going rate or fair market price in the southern United States?

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Sales
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 01:43:27 am »
Hmmm.. pricing of works done is always difficult.  A lot is going to depend upon what your venue is,  Are you in an Art Show, Craft Show, Rummage Sale, holiday show such as ones put on by the church, etc. 

What kind of wood are you using? 

Are you going to charge for your time and if so how much are you going to charge? This is a big one as it can add a whole lot to the cost of the piece that you are going to make.  For instance a customer asks you to make their portrait for them.  It takes you, lets arbitrarily chose an amount of time, to design the pattern of 2 hrs.  It might take you another 3 hrs to cut it out and another hour sanding and finishing.  Ok here is the big question - What to charge.  If you charge lets say $15 for the portrait that you just cut you are not being paid for the time to design and cut it and finish it very much.  You spent around 5 hrs total doing all the steps to make that portrait.  Lets say that your wood was cheap and it only cost a couple of dollars at the craft store.  So $15 - $2 = $13.  Ok cost of the wood is taken care of.  $13 / 5hs = $2.60 / hr. for the labor to design and make this portrait.  This is where what kind of venue comes into play.  If it is a craft fair, rummage sale, church sponsored event then this kind of pricing is expected by the customer.  However if you are in say an Art Show where folks there are expecting to pay a lot more for works of art then you can charge accordingly. 

Personally I feel that we as scrollers seldom get paid a lot for our time to design and create the items we want to sell.  For a portrait being designed, cut and finished depending upon the complexity of the cutting pricing it in the $30 - $40 range is not too unexpected.  Since you are the the one doing all the steps to produce the work you can set the price lower or higher as need be.

Hope this helps a bit.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline 3Dface

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:06:43 am »
Hmmm.. pricing of works done is always difficult.  A lot is going to depend upon what your venue is,  Are you in an Art Show, Craft Show, Rummage Sale, holiday show such as ones put on by the church, etc. 

What kind of wood are you using? 

Are you going to charge for your time and if so how much are you going to charge? This is a big one as it can add a whole lot to the cost of the piece that you are going to make.  For instance a customer asks you to make their portrait for them.  It takes you, lets arbitrarily chose an amount of time, to design the pattern of 2 hrs.  It might take you another 3 hrs to cut it out and another hour sanding and finishing.  Ok here is the big question - What to charge.  If you charge lets say $15 for the portrait that you just cut you are not being paid for the time to design and cut it and finish it very much.  You spent around 5 hrs total doing all the steps to make that portrait.  Lets say that your wood was cheap and it only cost a couple of dollars at the craft store.  So $15 - $2 = $13.  Ok cost of the wood is taken care of.  $13 / 5hs = $2.60 / hr. for the labor to design and make this portrait.  This is where what kind of venue comes into play.  If it is a craft fair, rummage sale, church sponsored event then this kind of pricing is expected by the customer.  However if you are in say an Art Show where folks there are expecting to pay a lot more for works of art then you can charge accordingly. 

Personally I feel that we as scrollers seldom get paid a lot for our time to design and create the items we want to sell.  For a portrait being designed, cut and finished depending upon the complexity of the cutting pricing it in the $30 - $40 range is not too unexpected.  Since you are the the one doing all the steps to produce the work you can set the price lower or higher as need be.

Hope this helps a bit.

DW

thanks DW,
so far requests have come from people i know but i  will be setting up in a "peddlers mall" selling "standard" wall hangings and anything else that strikes my fancy. to the rest of my families crafts i will also display a couple of finished portraits along with the picture it was made from with contact info. i am expecting portrait work to have a smaller part of the sales.

again, thank you
chris

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 12:17:14 pm »
I sell a few portraits at craft shows, and I get $40.00. I have tried higher prices, but to no avail. I usually use 1/8" baltic birch and stack cut 4 at a time and buy my 8 x 10 frames at Hobby Lobby on sale for $2.50. I cannot make them for this price. So, to sum up. I can cut $160.00 of portraits in same time it takes to cut one. The wood  cost $4.00 total and the frames $10.00 .  The time spent cutting usually run around 5-6 hours. Not a lot of profit but pays for materials and a little of my time.

Offline 3Dface

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:43:23 am »
I sell a few portraits at craft shows, and I get $40.00. I have tried higher prices, but to no avail. I usually use 1/8" baltic birch and stack cut 4 at a time and buy my 8 x 10 frames at Hobby Lobby on sale for $2.50. I cannot make them for this price. So, to sum up. I can cut $160.00 of portraits in same time it takes to cut one. The wood  cost $4.00 total and the frames $10.00 .  The time spent cutting usually run around 5-6 hours. Not a lot of profit but pays for materials and a little of my time.

thanks toneman,

what got me going on the portraits was Christmas gifts for my family. i am a penny pinscher so i have been using 1/8th inch luan, i got a 4x8 sheet at the local lumber yard for $7.50. that is 54 blanks at 13 cents each.  i have stacked up to 6 , and been cutting family members.
may i suggest trying the dollar tree for frames. it's hard to beat $1 for an 8x10 . i have bought 40 frames in just october. dollar tree saved me $60 over the frames at hobby lobby or dollar general. my next round of frames i will order from dollar tree online so it is not pick and choose what is in stock. it is free to pick up an order at the store.
these are the ones i am using for the family....
https://www.dollartree.com/Brown-Concave-Plastic-Frames-with-Beaded-Inner-Edges-8x10-/p362436/index.pro

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 09:45:42 am »
Thanks for the tip about Dollar Tree, will check them out. I have looked at Dollar General and could not find right frame but we do have a  Dollar Tree  store here.

SMF

Teknoromi