Author Topic: Putting text in a pattern  (Read 3126 times)

agooday88

Putting text in a pattern
« on: May 01, 2015, 01:26:30 pm »
I found a nice pattern to cut out to make.  I want to personalize it with a name in the middle. ( there is a long rectangle space in the middle ). I have used a few editing programs but neither of them will let me make the text wider/thicker. The space is pretty big, so I want to space the letters of the name out and make them as thick as the wood, so it will match. Can anyone help?

Offline Donrob

• View Profile
    • Old Crow Scrollwerks
Re: Putting text in a pattern
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 04:25:08 pm »
It would be easier for me to do it for you rather than trying to explain it. If you email it to me and tell me exactly what you need I will be happy to do it for you.
oldcrowscrollwerks@yahoo.com
Don R
CUSTOM DESIGNED SCROLL SAW PATTERNS
www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com

agooday88

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:04:51 pm »
Thank you for the kind offer, but I have a lot of them to do and I would not feel right having you do them for me. But thanks! I will find a way. I am determined. :) I tried Paint, Inkscape, Gimp and all of them wont let me make the letter wider. I am running out of options.

Offline Donrob

• View Profile
    • Old Crow Scrollwerks
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 08:47:25 pm »
I think your best bet would be Inkscape, at least that is what I would use. I would import it into Inkscape, then simply type in the text  and manipulate the text using "extensions" "text" "split text" and then you can manipulate the individual letters.
Hope this helps.
Don R
CUSTOM DESIGNED SCROLL SAW PATTERNS
www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com

agooday88

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 09:21:32 pm »
I understand what you are saying. I downloaded Inkscape and I put one letter in the text box. I can stretch the letter wider and taller and smaller but what I cant do is make the actual letter  THICKER.   Am I making sense? The letter L may be 1/16 inch thick on the screen, I want the letter L to be 1/4 inch thick or 1/2 inch thick.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 08:53:27 am »
First each text has it's restrictions on just how much and what you can do with it. So you might want to look at different font.

You can also try Dynamic Offset. After typing the text go to Path on the upper tool bar and down to Dynamic Offset. Click on Dynamic Offset and a box will appear around your text with a small node usually in the upper left corner of the box. Hover over it with your pointer it will change colors then left mouse click and hold. Drag it away from the box ever so slightly and it will thicken the text.

Hope this helps
Russ
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 04:56:53 pm »
I do this quite a bit. print your pattern, the in a program like paint, make the words you want and the size, then print it and glue it to your pattern

agooday88

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 06:18:02 pm »
Thank you Russ.. That worked.  It is a bit touchy! Is there anyway to calculate the thickness so that each one is the same thickness? I bearly moved it and it got REAL thick then to  VERY thin.  I got the name on it but it was hard.... but I got the hang of it after the 4th try..lol

I like that idea Crusty. Instead of trying to get the letters in the pattern exactly where I need it. I can print them and cut them out.  That way  I can space them out the way I want.

I will try these 2 ideas. Wish me luck.  :D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:54:43 pm by agooday88 »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 07:23:27 am »
If you zoom in on the text or one letter when you re-size it seems to help. I will have to see if there is any other way to adjust.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:40:25 am »
You may try the stencil program that Steve has on this web site.

SMF

Teknoromi