Author Topic: Oldie but goodie scroll saw  (Read 1843 times)

agooday88

Oldie but goodie scroll saw
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:23:05 pm »
I was handed down my father's  old Sears 16" Variable speed scroll saw after he passed away. This one is working fine  for now until I can buy a new one, plus I am enjoying using the one my he used when he made his projects.  :)
 If anyone here has one of these scroll saws, I would really love some help.
 I am having a problem with changing blades and or loosening one end of the blade so I  can insert in into a drilled hole for fret work.
 When I need to insert it into a hole, I always take the blade off of the TOP.  But when I do Stack cutting, it is hard to insert the blade into the hole.
The reason that I loosen the top one is because I cant see the area that well on the bottom, to attach it there.  The overhead light does not help and so now it is dark in that area where the blade attaches.
I get so  frustrated and it is so time consuming to attach a blade to the bottom.  I need 3 hands...  one to hold the blade,  one to tighten the blade and  one to hold the flashlight.   I wont share with you how I hold the flashlight. haha
 Anyway...I really need some advice to make this a easier and less stressful task.
 I cant wait until I can buy a front loading blade changer scroll saw,but until then does anyone have any advice for me?
Thank you all for your help. I have learned a lot from this website and made some friends in the process.

Offline termite

• View Profile
Re: Oldie but goodie scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:12:27 am »
 my RBI 220VS is like that. i had a lot of trouble when i started using it. after awhile i was able
to do it without looking. you just get used to doing it that way. it will get easier. i hope this helps you.  termite

mlwmerk

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 09:39:10 am »
I too have a Craftsman variable speed 16" scroll saw circa 2005. 

I'm left handed and the light I use is on the left hand side of the saw, actually exactly at my left shoulder.  It is a former desk light and I find that I need to move it in order to see the blade and hole. 

The problem you are having may be  that the "stack" cutting may be pretty thick for the space.  Just guessing.

I don't find any particular problem with stacks up to three quarters of an inch.  Often I find that I have to flex the blade a bit to find, see the hole and insert the tip of the blade.  When you tighten the tension on the blade any flex will go away. 

OBTW, I like my "Sears" scroll saw.  I've overhauled it once when the bearings in the lower arm wore out and the bellows broke.  Parts are readily available thru Sears.  Not cheap however.  All you need is the model number of the saw.  It should be on the saw somewhere.  If you don't have a manual Sears has that too.

Walt in CT

agooday88

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 10:08:56 am »
Thanks Walt. I like my saw too. It is easy to use. It is not in the best shape though. It works good in spite of the vibration and the fact that the air hose fell apart in my hands when I was trying to see why it wasn't working. ( old and dried out ) I think that part is shot. I wish I could fix it, cause it is hard to saw when you have no air. I have a fan that blows on it.. ( better then nothing but not the best )
I have a light on my left side also. I can see the clamp but not well enough. Maybe my bulb isn't bright enough. I dont know.

The other problem that I am having is that the blade holder is so wiggly. It moves back and forth so much. Do u know if that is the way it is suppose to be? I feel like super gluing it sometimes so it will stay in one place.  lol

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 11:11:33 am »
Re:  The Light (or lack of.)  I take a CD and cut a 1/2" channel from the outer edge to the center.  If needed, I lay this on the table to act as a mirror, to shine the overhead light up, onto the bottom of the wood.

DO NOT put tape on the CD when cutting.  It pulls the coating right off of the CD, leaving you with just clear plastic.

When threading the blade, it also helps to rotate the wood so that you have the least amount of distance from the edge of the wood to the hole you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

jerry

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:34:33 am »
I started out with an old Craftsman that was very difficult to attach a blade in the bottom holder.  Had to use an allen wrench and there was a little "do-dad" you inserted into the holder to hold it in place while  you put a blade in. It was very frustrating to say the least.  I think I use worse language on it than I did when I was in the Marine Corps...   Two things I did that helped.  I got a light that strapped to my forehead so I could have light to see when under there.  I mounted the saw on a hinged platform so I could tilt the saw on it's side when changing blades.  I worked that way with it for quite a few years, but back then I did not scroll much.  Years later when I started wanting to scroll more, I gave that saw to my daughter and bought a better saw.  My daughter has never used the saw and it sits in her garage.  I love to look at it and laugh when I go visit. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:37:54 am by pddesertrat »

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 07:25:29 pm »
I just had to Chuckle a bit with reading the above posts.  Yes ME also went thru this phase.  For better or worst
when a Scroll Saw is really OLD I say it has seen its time.  Move on and buy another.  Even Lowes has starter
scroll saws that work GREAT.  This is how I started Many years ago.  My Opinion ....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

agooday88

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 10:49:06 pm »
I like the light strapped to my head idea. lol ..
I cant afford to buy a new one. Plus.. this was my Dad's and I want to keep it. But another one would be nice for a change now and then.
Hey, if your daughter isn't using that old sears one and wants to donate it to charity, I know of a Great one.
From your friend,
 Charity...lol

SMF

Teknoromi