Author Topic: How thick is too thick?  (Read 5938 times)

agooday88

How thick is too thick?
« on: January 04, 2015, 10:26:45 am »
Hi everyone.  I have an odd question. I want to make some simple designed crosses.They have a few curves here and there.  I am using 1/2 in wood. I was thinking about stacking 2 together so that I would be using my time more wisely.  Stacking 2 would now be 1in thick. I am using a #3 or a #5 blade for easy maneuvering on the curves. Can I stack them? Will I need to use a different blade? #7 and will I be able to cut the curvy pattern with a 7? Orrr should I just continue to cut them out individually? I need to make 4 for a friend asap and they are very time consuming. ( it is an Amazing Grace cross) Thank u for your help and patience.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: How thick is too thick?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 11:49:38 am »
You did not say what species of wood.  If it is a hard wood you may have to go to the #7 but you can still cut the "curves".  I would think that a #5 will be just fine though and if it is a softer wood if you take your time you can use the #3 but you may get some bowing in the blade.  Share some pics of your project.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 05:44:57 am »
Absolutely nothing wrong with a one inch thick stack.  Like Dunk said, with a #3 you might get some bowing, it is hard not to push.  That being said, it is very do-able.  Take your time and it will be fine.

agooday88

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:00:44 am »
Well, I stacked the wood, used a #5 (was out of smaller ones), took my time, and I cut out 2 at once. Wow, what a time saver. Feeding the blade in the hole was a challenge since the wood was thicker but I managed it with some maneuvers. Thanks all!  ;D

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 10:46:47 am »
Glad it worked out for you.  Share some pics of your project??
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

agooday88

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 09:36:48 am »
I am happy to share a photo of my project. Thanks for asking.  I tried to Attach it here and it said it was too big. How do I make the file smaller?

pddesertrat

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 11:24:21 am »
There are many free photo editors on the internet that have ways to reduce the size of photos.  I use Photoscape, but there are many others.  Depending on which one you use, you may need to experiment a little to get the correct size for the forum.  Another option I use often is uploading my picture to Photobucket.com.  Then I can paste the link to the picture directly into my post here. 

agooday88

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 11:53:30 pm »
GRRRR.. I am really trying to figure this out.. I have tried a few FREE programs and I still cant get the photo small enough or at the right format. jpg etc. to post on here.  Can someone please give me specific directions.   I have googled and Utubed my fingers off. :( I want to only use a free program... Thanks all.
Signed,
 Goin Crazy

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 08:36:48 am »
Jpegger from Vallen http://www.vallen.de/products/software/jpegger is free and can resize pics. It allows you only to select certain sizes, at least one of of the sizes would be OK for posting here.  I mainly use it as a picture viewer, it's fast and easy to use.  As I say, it also re-sizes.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline jimr1cos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:02:00 pm »
I use Microsoft Paint which is free on Windows machines. It is primitive but you can resize by percentage or # of pixels.
Jim

agooday88

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 09:18:36 pm »
Thanks, I will check them out. I dont know what size to change the photo to. What size is a good number to post pictures?

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 11:45:03 am »
Hi everyone.  I have an odd question. I want to make some simple designed crosses.They have a few curves here and there.  I am using 1/2 in wood. I was thinking about stacking 2 together so that I would be using my time more wisely.  Stacking 2 would now be 1in thick. I am using a #3 or a #5 blade for easy maneuvering on the curves. Can I stack them? Will I need to use a different blade? #7 and will I be able to cut the curvy pattern with a 7? Orrr should I just continue to cut them out individually? I need to make 4 for a friend asap and they are very time consuming. ( it is an Amazing Grace cross) Thank u for your help and patience.

4 feet thick i think that would be too thick LOL....  ;D :))
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

pddesertrat

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 11:57:30 am »
Thanks, I will check them out. I dont know what size to change the photo to. What size is a good number to post pictures?

With my photo editor (Photoscape) I change the pixels of the largest, width or height, to 640 pixels or a little less.  That resizes the picture to close to the correct size for this forum.

agooday88

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 07:21:41 pm »
Here is a photo of my first try at stack cutting. Thank you all for your help.. It was such a  Time Saver. ;D

Rover2

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 07:34:31 pm »
They came out beautiful.  Great job.

Al

SMF

Teknoromi