Author Topic: Help me with Finishes  (Read 3010 times)

agooday88

Help me with Finishes
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:08:31 pm »
I am kinda new to scroll sawing but I feel that I have come a long way. I would like some advice on what you use to finish your wood projects. I first was told to use polyurethane, then someone suggested to use spray lacquer then I heard that shellac is good too. I am totally confused now and I would like your opinion. I want to have a beautiful shiny finish on my projects and I don't know which will give me that results. I have searched many videos and they all say that all of them are good. I need more details please. As of now, I am making wall decorations. Thanks all.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Help me with Finishes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:14:24 pm »
The reason you are getting conflicting suggestions is because each of those finishes and many others as well are all good.  Some have certain properties and others have other properties.  Shellac and lacquer are both very fast drying, and do not require sanding between coats.  Both can be brushed or sprayed.  Polyurethane is a very durable finish and can be used out doors if exterior is chosen.  Varnishes (including poly) can be sprayed or brushed and are available in gloss, satin or matte.  Oils are easy to wipe on, and very forgiving, but don't last as long or wear like the more durable finishes.  You have to decide what is important to you, what the use of your project is, and what you are comfortable using in order to make a choice.  Sorry if I am confusing you more, but no single finish is the answer for each person and situation.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

agooday88

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:19:32 pm »
Thank you. Actually you did not confuse me at all. I got a lot out of what you said. It makes more sense now as to why I got so many opinions. I will do more Googling. lol

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 09:20:00 pm »
I'm just lazy, so I usually spray Lacquer. I spray 3 or 4 coats of Deft lacquer, in between coats I rub it with a piece of a brown grocery bag to smooth it out.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

agooday88

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 09:48:53 pm »
Thanks Jr. I used to use Polyurethane (brush on).  I just bought a can of Miniwax spray Lacquer finish. I used it on a project and it wasn't' as shiny as the Ployurethane. I think I was just use to the glossy look. But the Lacquer wasn't bad. It had more of a wood furniture look. I guess I will just have to play around until I find my look. But the Lacquor does dry a heck of a lot faster. lol  I think I may stick with that for a while. :-)

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 03:25:14 am »
Thanks Jr. I used to use Polyurethane (brush on).  I just bought a can of Miniwax spray Lacquer finish. I used it on a project and it wasn't' as shiny as the Ployurethane. I think I was just use to the glossy look. But the Lacquer wasn't bad. It had more of a wood furniture look. I guess I will just have to play around until I find my look. But the Lacquor does dry a heck of a lot faster. lol  I think I may stick with that for a while. :-)

With lacquer you HAVE to use good ventilation.  The lacquer thinner is very volatile and will fill a room quickly with vapors and is also very flammable.  When I was in the service we accidently blew out all of the windows in our shop with just a small amount of lacquer thinner.  Had about an 1 1/2 inches in the bottom of a cut off coke can and the heater kicked on that was the last time we used it with out fans and the windows open. :)  Anyway just a friendly warning about it.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

agooday88

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:52:08 am »
Thanks for the warning. I appreciate your concern greatly. I didn' realize that it was that powerful. I always do all my spraying outdoors just in case. Yes, I got a whiff of it when the wind blew in my direction. I like the fact that it dries so quickly, but I am not sold completely on the outcome of the finish. I like SHINEY. I guess it is just a girl thing. :-)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 10:51:13 am »
Favorite finishes are just like noses...everybody has one.
You just have to experiment a few times to find yours. I personally don't have a favorite finish, I use them all on different projects. Keeps me interested and I don't do the same things all the time and don't want them all to look  alike.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

agooday88

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 11:49:18 am »
Sounds good Rog. I like to keep things interesting too. I will experiment.

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 03:34:17 pm »

Are you using gloss lacquer? Deft is usually very shiny. You may need two or more coats to build up the finish. Lacquer is very forgiving since the coats will "burn" into the lower coats and give an easy finish.

agooday88

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 05:47:40 pm »
I am experimenting with Minwax clear aerosol Lacquer clear gloss on 1/2 inch  plywood. I also used 3/4 in pine. I put 3 coats on it and it had a gloss to it ( like lightly polished oak furniture) but not real shiny. My husband says it looks good to him. I think I just have to get use to it. The polyurethane was very shiny but had too many air bubbles and took too long to dry in the cool outside temperatures so that is why I am looking for an alternative. I also like the spray nozzle on the lacquer can and it had a nice fine spray; not like the poly that came out like spray paint.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 07:35:50 pm »
I am experimenting with Minwax clear aerosol Lacquer clear gloss on 1/2 inch  plywood. I also used 3/4 in pine. I put 3 coats on it and it had a gloss to it ( like lightly polished oak furniture) but not real shiny. My husband says it looks good to him. I think I just have to get use to it. The polyurethane was very shiny but had too many air bubbles and took too long to dry in the cool outside temperatures so that is why I am looking for an alternative. I also like the spray nozzle on the lacquer can and it had a nice fine spray; not like the poly that came out like spray paint.

One of the things I have done in the past is I made a large ( 2 foot Square ) window box in my garage and then used a pair of 500W halogen lights shining through the glass.  Inside the box the temperature would hover around 65 F even if it was sub zero.  I would spray my projects and put them in there to cure.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

agooday88

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 10:44:34 pm »
sounds good.  :D

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 05:42:20 am »
Since so much of what we do is small, I am a big fan of Watco Danish Oil.  It comes in a variety of colors and dries pretty fast.  I use meat trays to "dip" my pieces and let the excess run off.  Then I spray with spar urethane.  I prefer the spar urethane to the poly because it does not yellow and has a certain amount of weatherproofing to it.  Everybody has their favorites, use what you feel works best for you.

SMF

Teknoromi