Author Topic: Dewalt 788 type 2 quality level in 2013?  (Read 3276 times)

zeroloc

Dewalt 788 type 2 quality level in 2013?
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:28:38 pm »
Hey guys I need a little feedback and info, I have had my heart set on getting an ex-21 to do all my scroll sawing on but its getting closer to Christmas and money is getting tighter so I'm considering going with a dewalt. With all the issues that have been reported with the type 2's I'm very hesitant to get one but at the same time if I get a used type 1 its going to be at least 15 years old and that doesn't make me comfortable either.

My question to you guys who have type 2's is if the quality has improved enough for the dewalt 788 to still be a good saw or am I going to be buying a saw that's going to give me headaches that I shouldn't have from a $500 saw?

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
Re: Dewalt 788 type 2 quality level in 2013?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 05:59:45 pm »
Hey guys I need a little feedback and info, I have had my heart set on getting an ex-21 to do all my scroll sawing on but its getting closer to Christmas and money is getting tighter so I'm considering going with a dewalt. With all the issues that have been reported with the type 2's I'm very hesitant to get one but at the same time if I get a used type 1 its going to be at least 15 years old and that doesn't make me comfortable either.

My question to you guys who have type 2's is if the quality has improved enough for the dewalt 788 to still be a good saw or am I going to be buying a saw that's going to give me headaches that I shouldn't have from a $500 saw?

My first DW788 and that was a 2011 modelwent to hell on me and dewalt replace that saw with a brand new 2012 model and been running great.

yep get one acme tools have theirs for $499.99 bucks on 11/22/2013 and 11/23/2013 they have 10% off..  get the stand and also get the worklight for it. and then go to mike and fet some FD-UR blades and make dust  eat the dust breath the dust lickthe dust off your lips.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Enjoy the scroll saw  you can go to www.acmetools.com......

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 07:03:48 pm »
Last year I found a 788 on Craig's List. It was 10 years old; owner bought it and went all out on blades, patterns, etc. Used it a few times, and just didn't get the hang of it, he said. It is a type 1, made in Canada, in perfect, almost unused condition. Receipts were in among all the stuff. You might check around for an older one.
But, it is nice to hear a good report on ones made last year.
Pat B

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:25:20 pm »
Well mine is coming up on 4 years and not a problem.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:17:37 am »
I have had mine about 8 years and I love it. I also have  a EX21 and if I had to say which was my favorite it would be the DeWalt.  :)

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 08:54:24 am »
I have a type I that I got at an estate auction.  Works great except I just found out about the dusty switch.  It quit and I opened it and cleaned it out and now works fine.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:54:07 pm »
  i've had mine almost 5 yrs. other than one breakdown i'm happy with it.

Offline stett14

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 10:03:57 pm »
I have had mine Dewalt for 5 years and just love and I  have not had any problem except for today. ITWILL NOT RUN!.  Tell me about more about the dusty switch problem.  I have checked the cords and tap on the motor blew out the dust under the switch and still will not run.

If anyone has any other ideas on why it is not running I would appreciate some info.  Christmas is just around the corner and I have lots of presents to make.

Thanks for your help

Stett 14

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 10:50:31 pm »
Most likely the fuse (by the motor)....small auto 'barrel' type fuse...
Pop the fuse holder with a small screwdriver blade and head to auto parts store for replacement...get a 5 pack for about $3 or $4....

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi