Author Topic: Cutting Board Question  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Al W

• View Profile
Cutting Board Question
« on: July 27, 2013, 07:45:49 pm »
I am going to make a couple of cutting boards - yeah I know it is not scrolling, but some of you do more than scroll - and I am curious what the opinion(s) might be concerning the use of Cherry for parts of a board.  I have plenty of Walnut and Maple and a few pieces of Purpleheart to use, and am thinking of adding something new.

Cherry?

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Scroll Down

Re: Cutting Board Question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:35:54 pm »
Should work fine.

I've made a few lately. Like the end grain stuff.

www.lumberjocks.com has tons of great ideas and tutorials.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:57:22 pm »
I doubt that it would be a problem, but walnut has some toxicity.  Probably fine if you limit how much you include.  I have made most of mine with maple.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 09:02:53 pm »
I think that cherry or almost any hard wood works well. Stay away from softer woods (pine or poplar come to mind) and I would advise against oak especially red oak. Some wood has larger and more open pores that can trap germs easily which is a no no.
Seal with oils of almost any kind but, do not use anything with a harder surface like paint or polyurethane which will chip off during use.
And of course, keep it out of the dishwasher. Just wipe it down with a wet cloth and dry it off with a paper towel and stand it on edge for storage.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:42:37 pm »
Use hardwoods, oils or sealers make sure they are food safe, they also say DO NOT use cooking oil and such as it does go rancid. We have some wood at work to make signs with called Brazilian wood, its the hardest heaviest wood you have, would be good for cutting boards. This stuff will sink in water its so dense, have to predrill holes will break a hardened lag screw if don't.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 04:27:55 am »
I have made about 20 end grain cutting boards.  I have used cherry, with maple and walnut and looked great and has stood up well.  I finish with General Salad bowl finish.

I started by watching the video at Wood Whisperer. Best video out there.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/how-to-make-a-butcher-block-cutting-board/

Also there is a link to CBdesigner which is software to help in design.  Really cool and you can really make unique boards with left over stock.
Don

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:45:26 am »
Thanks.  I will press on using some of the cherry in combination with walnut (used several times in the past), maple and some purpleheart.

- now if I only had my table saw back -   

sigh.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 05:31:43 pm »
cherry is fine to use, it looks really nice. I have heard that some people who are highly sensitive to nuts can react to walnut, so always let people know what you use.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 06:05:12 pm »
Personally I would use endgrain as it is said that it will not dull the knives as fast.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

SMF

Teknoromi