Author Topic: Sanding  (Read 1042 times)

zgrimsley

Sanding
« on: December 31, 2012, 01:59:15 pm »
What do yall use to sand after you have finished a project with small places and corners? I have used a nail file but some of my cutouts are not big enough to get a file into. Was just wondering if yall used any other tools?

old wormy

Re: Sanding
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:29:24 pm »
My saw blades produce fretwork that has good smooth edges and I do not have to sand the edges. Sometimes I do need to enhance some details and then I use a file from a set of tiny files with different profiles. I do sand the flat front and back of finished projects to remove any fuzzies produced by the saw blade. For this I use a detail sander with a triangle head. 180 grit is all that I use and then use the shop vac with a small brush to remove all sawdust from the detals before putting it in a sealed box to wait to be finished.

grampa sawdust

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:34:40 pm »
I do as Old wormy does and use a sanding mop

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 05:34:55 pm »
I guess you could trim an emery board down to fit in the smaller holes where your file won't fit but, personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  ::)  Who is going to notice?  ???  I just sand the front a bit (and the back for the fuzzy's) and put on a finish. If you want the front to be a bit more  glossy, rub the front with a square of brown paper sack and apply more finish.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 05:42:35 pm »
I pre-sand my blanks to 220 grit, occasionally 320 and use FD-UR blades. Very seldom do I need to do any further sanding. I use 4000 grit  ( brown paper bag) between coats of finish.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

king310

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 05:53:25 pm »
I use a hobby file set from testors, but I also pre-sand my work before I cut. I have a 320 grit sponge for my finish work or steel wool(which I do Not like to use). If I cut it right then I do not need to file.
Beside shearing those sheep that have that steel for wool is hard to do. ::)

SMF

Teknoromi