Author Topic: hi! I'm a member!  (Read 2777 times)

mshines

hi! I'm a member!
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:36:37 pm »
Hello everyone! I have been doing a few woodworking projects-self taught-learning the hard way.  Most of the things I have done have been with my router on pine.  My husband just bought me a scroll saw :)  I have recently had hand surgery so I haven't been able to use it yet >:( During my recovery time I have discovered this website! Haven't done anything in 4 days but watch videos on woodworking on you tube! I went to town today to buy wood so that I could be ready once I recooperate.  this was a disheartening experience since all  we have is Lowes.  I thought my first project should be the scroll saw basket.  I don't know what wood or thickness to use.  It appears I will have to order wood so I need some thoughts on what to start out with...I don't want to break the bank when I mess up my first few projects. 

countryscroller

Re: hi! I'm a member!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:51:20 pm »
Welcome, I'm Dustin from Ohio. Glad to have you with us. When I started, I bought Baltic Birch Ply from Lowes and made bowls. Since you can buy it in thicknesses of 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 there, I found it was great to practice and learn with it without breaking the wallet. I still use 1/4 for portraits because all you see it the top, not edge where the plys are. Good luck with it and enjoy!

mshines

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:33:02 pm »
Oh thank you!  I did purchase 1/4,1/2,and 3/4" birch just to learn(and there were not many other options) but I didn't know how that would turn out. When making the bowl which thickness should I try first?

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:05:50 pm »
I would do either 1/4 or 1/2, it doesn't really matter. They cut fairly easy. 3/4 might be a little difficult being a first time with it. I cut a lot of the wobble bowls on Steve's site. http://stevedgo.ipower.com/cat/?page_id=2341  The end grain of the plys will show, but as you advance your skill and knowledge of woods, cutting different hardwoods look better. It is all a learning experience and there are a lot of people here to help with questions and anything you need help with. Also very talented pattern makers. Looking forward to seeing some projects of yours. Have a nice day.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 02:31:40 am »
Hi mshines, welcome to the site.  I'm Marg from Australia
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:18:16 am »
welcome to the forum i'm Todd from NL Canada

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:46:48 am »
Glad you found us. Hi I'm Russ from Florida your local moderator. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:02:56 am »
Hi and a warm welcome. I am Mahendra from India.
mahendra

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:40:24 am »
Greetings from South Dakota MShines.  Welcome to the madness and addiction.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:42:29 am »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

jeepman06

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 09:58:51 pm »
hello there welcome If you have a Michael's near buy they sell plywood that I have worked with and had very good results . Lowe's  also carries good wood. I do not like Home Depot for there wood. You will enjoy Scrolling I do relaxing. Also I do a lot of Jeeping  as you see from my pic. Happy scrolling and enjoy.

Offline jeff44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 01:33:32 pm »
Hi I am Jeff44 from GA.  I use Lowes for their Popular and their Red Oak.  When you get ready there is many on line sources for wood as well as patterns and if you run into trouble or have question, you have found the right source.  The people here are very friendly and helpful.  Welcome aboard. Jeff44

Linda in Phoenix

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 12:09:45 am »
Welcome to you from Phoenix AZ.  Nothing wrong with wood from where ever you can get it affordably.  I've gotten some great pieces from Lowes and Home Depot's culls (scrap drops) to work with, yard sales too.  It's not just the wood colors, but the grains that can make a piece beautiful, and how you place them.  You could make an intarsia rose all out of oak, and the stems and leaves from poplar---using the grain with each piece to add the illusion of depth or curvature----and it would stand out beautifully.

mshines

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 10:12:44 am »
What thickness and types of wood are used in the new zombie pattern?

tdpainter

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 04:25:24 pm »
Hello mshines Welcome To The site. My name Is Travis from NL Canada, aka tdpainter

SMF

Teknoromi