Author Topic: A question about finish for outdoors project.  (Read 2318 times)

Keith Sharples

A question about finish for outdoors project.
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:27:54 am »
Hi!  I'm making a "Welcome" sign that I would like to put outdoors above our front door.  It's a 2 part project (ie: with  backer board) that I've cut from 2 contrasting pieces of 1/4 inch exterior grade plywood.  I'm planning to glue the 2 pieces together with Titebond 3, but not sure if I should oil finish it with B.L.O. or spray it with Acrylic Lacquer.
Also, should I oil the 2 pieces before or after gluing?....I'm guessing after, but not sure how the glue & oil may react to each other.

Any hints & tips would be most welcome.

Keith.  (Norfolk, England)

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
Re: A question about finish for outdoors project.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:58:09 am »
are you planning on colouring the backer board different from the cut piece to make t pop a bit? if so that kinda has to be done before they are glued together...I use to read that oiled projects don't stick together with glue that good and can come apart....but in BEST trick I've ever read about gluing your pieces together came from this site. sorry I forgot who stated it though so can't give the person the credit...anyways put some wax paper down and go buy yourself a little foam roller, then roll the glue onto the wax paper and just set the top piece of wood onto the wax paper, it gives the perfect amount of glue onto your piece and it's super fast and covers the entire project perfectly! you also get VERY little squeeze out with this method as well _) .. also put some weights on top of the wood after they are glued to give it a good strong bond , then spray with which ever finishing product i'm using those days.
I have never had any problems with pieces coming unglued doing this method, and it seems to work great for me. I think the important part is making sure you give the pieces time to properly cure and dry before you glue

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:18:37 am »
Probably the best finish for anything outdoors is Spar Varnish.  That is what is used on woodwork on boats (Prior to epoxy).
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 11:35:16 am »
I have a point or two to bring up if you don't mind.
I built a glider, a porch swing and a picnic table out of aromatic cedar which is an OILY wood. I gave all pieces three or four coats of "Helmsman Spar Urethane" varnish which is advertised for "Exceptional protection from sunlight, rain and moisture and temperature changes". All items are outside and the finish has lasted about two years and is falling off in spots already.
My point is....I wouldn't put any oil on your project BEFORE the finish AND I would make sure that the spar varnish is for MARINE use.
I truly believe that the oil in the wood I used caused the finish not to last as long as I expected. So, I wouldn't recommend that you ADD oil to the wood before finishing.
Also, I'm sure that the spar varnish that is designed for the average wood worker is not as good as that designed for boat builders (I may be wrong on that point) Ask the person at the paint store if there is any difference in spar varnishes.
I may add that I live in Kansas USA which is known for extreme climate changes through the year and your location may not be as harsh on things out doors. My patio where the items are, ranges in temps from -10 degrees f in winter to +120 f in summer and are exposed to harsh sunlight, rain and snow depending on the season.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Keith Sharples

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 07:49:21 pm »
The backer board and the front board are of naturally different coloured woods, the backer is dark & the front is a much lighter wood.  They are both exterior grade Plywood.

I glued them together using Titebond 3, and placed some weights on it overnight.  I then finished it with 3 coats of Acrylic lacquer spray (similar to the lacquer used on cars!)  I decided NOT to oil the wood in any way.

The weather we have here can be quite harsh at times, and we are in a very exposed location.  It's now put away for the Lacquer to harden overnight before putting it above the front door this weekend.

Thanks for all your advice folks!!

Keith Sharples

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 04:12:01 pm »
Here is the sign, finished and ready to take its place above our front door.

Rover2

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 07:28:30 pm »
Nice looking sign Keith.  Should hold up well with the finish you put on it.  Thanks for sharing.

Al

SMF

Teknoromi