Author Topic: personalized sawblade clock  (Read 3043 times)

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
personalized sawblade clock
« on: November 20, 2014, 07:24:07 am »
hello there, a fellow woodworkers wife just came to me a week or so ago and asked if I could make her a gift to give to her hubby for xmas....she asked if I could make a wooden saw blade with the word "WOODWORKING" rounded at the top of the blade and words "BY WAYNE" rounded at the bottom of the blade.  any of you guys have any ideas? I can picture it in my head exactly how it should look but unfortunately I do not know how to use any kind of editing programs or anything like that so I am very limited to what I can make for her...if you guys can possibly help me out it would be awesome ...

thanks

tdub4ever

Re: personalized sawblade clock
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:18:27 am »
Here's my try.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:54:08 am »
Inkscape can put text on a curve on your drawings. So if you get the circular saw outline (say 10") and put a circle around it, you can flow the text on that circle. It's a little trickier on the bottom, but it's doable.

Here's a printable copy (but it's almost 12"x12"). In Inkscape, it is made from a saw blade image, circles, hand drawn curves, and text, so it can be modified in Inkscape as needed. If you want to look it over, I can make some modifications to match what you're looking for. For example, did you want the text outside the blade or cut into it? I showed it outside, but still used a scroll font so if you cut it, close the scroll bridges and bridge the text to the saw teeth. If it should be inside the blade, I'll reduce the circle sizes and the text will re-flow, then cut the text out as the scroll font.

Let me know what you need.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:35:21 am »
wow...both of these look GREAT!!! thanks guys.....EIEIO, my plan was going to be to have on the inside edge of the blade just like tdub4ever made for me. then I was also planning to cut out the space between each letter instead of just the letter it self. (make sense?_) the size is great!

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:33:11 am »
There are some saw clock patterns on Steve's free pattern site under tools that may give you some ideas.
   http://stevedgo.ipower.com/cat/?page_id=170

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 08:50:47 am »
yes that is the look I am going for :) just didnt' want to actually post anything because the first time I tried to request this the thread was taken down right away. I figured it was because I asked for a modification or something along those lines. so I figured I would just go the round about way ....lol

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 11:22:01 pm »
thanks for all the help on this one guys. here is what I ended up coming up with ..thanks tdub4ever. I took what you gave and changed a couple things...turned out ok I suppose. there was lots of the cutting that I wasn't pleased and this was in no way anywhere close to my normal cutting skills. but the person is very happy with it so that's all that matters I suppose.....

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 08:20:19 am »
Nice result. Will they be mounting a clock movement on it?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline justsomeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:51:28 pm »
yes I have a clock movement for it already. but had to put a finish on it before I put the clock in

tdub4ever

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 07:12:10 am »
That turned out great. Nice cutting.

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 01:17:13 pm »
Great pattern and great just of cutting.
ChelCass

SMF

Teknoromi