Author Topic: glass cutting  (Read 1282 times)

emtdonald

glass cutting
« on: November 20, 2011, 02:11:59 pm »
just wondering if anyone has ever tried cutting glass or if it could be don with a scroll saw

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: glass cutting
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:34:48 pm »
I have never tried cutting glass but i have cut plexiglass with pretty good results.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 03:48:51 pm »
I cut glass all the time since I do stained glass.  I cut it a couple of different ways.

1.  I have a glass saw (very similar to a scroll).  I'm not sure if you can get a blade for the scrollsaw to cut but I think so.  Might want to google.   You need a special blade to cut glass and your glass must be warm when cutting otherwise it will shatter.

If you don't want to invest in a glass saw (not cheap)  then you can use a hand held glass cutter.  You score the glass and then break it by hand.  Takes a bit of practice. 

Chels
ChelCass

daliclimbs

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 04:36:58 pm »
I researched it once and kinda gave up. It requires a drip tank and diamond blades. And apparently not all scroll saws are listed as being capable of doing it. Plus there Is the risk of silicosis, which is bad news. If u really want to do you may have to invest in a glass saw.

jim stiek

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:34:26 am »
got one of the hawk jrs and the way it is made is really great for glass cutting, almost all the water drops off the saw and dosn't make much mess. Diamond blades are available from Bushton and work quite well it is not a fast process but you can cut quite intricate detaials in glass that are impossible with a glass cutter.
jim

SMF

Teknoromi