Author Topic: Polymer Clay. ??  (Read 3323 times)

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Polymer Clay. ??
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:21:40 am »
Steve has several patterns for using polymer clay as an inlay.   I've run into a problem.

When sanding the clay after baking, the color of the clay tends to bleed over into the surrounding wood. If using a red clay then sanding the clay on the wood leaves a pinkish tint to the area around it. I haven't seen this on any of the project photos, so there must be a way to prevent it.    Do I just need to keep sanding until the bleeding stops?   Am I not baking the clay long enough?

Any hints or tips?

Thanks.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

DaveP

Re: Polymer Clay. ??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:34:46 pm »
I think it may be best to use 'sanding sealer' first to prevent the bleed ?

Maybe  :)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 02:14:29 pm »
I am wondering if the clay was completely dry.
Have never used it but that would be my first reaction.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 02:31:25 pm »
I had the same problems - I was told that the wood was too weak. have not tried it again with harder wood - but will.

rob roy

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 03:15:23 pm »
Hi Dunk, I would agree with DaveP and GB. I would suggest that you use a timber with a much closer grain. Good luck.
Best wishes from Scotland. Rob Roy

SheGold

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 05:11:00 pm »
Hey Dunk I had the same problem but if you sand a bit more it releases the pink.. Hope this helps... Sheila

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 05:31:34 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I have been using hardwoods, including Poplar, chestnut, walnut.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 06:25:55 pm »
I just used some clay the other night and I did overfill the cuts to make sure every part was filled.  So I had clay in the grain as well (oak hardwood).  I just sanded until it was gone.

My problem was the wood split due to the heat in the toaster oven I baked it in.  I glued and clamped it and you could never tell, but I will look to use a different wood or make sure none of my cuts are near an edge.

Karl

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »
I was able to blow out the colored dust with an air hose.

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 05:25:02 am »
Poplar is definitely too weak.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 09:23:39 am »
I used the clay for the first time last night and overfilled the openings in the wood as I recall Steve said it would shrink as it cured.  It seemed to actually get larger as it dried - has anyone else found that happening?

The instruction on my clay says to cook for 30 minutes at 220 degrees but not to exceed 265 degrees.  I used an old toaster oven (didn't dare use the LOML's oven) and checked the temperature with a thermocouple connected to a VOM and found the temperature cycled from about 170 to over 270 degrees!  The clay seemed to cook OK anyway.

After a lot of sanding, there was no clay left on the wood around the clay parts but I did have to sand off some of the wood to get it to look good.  Even though it was cooked for about 3/4 of an hour, this morning it seems the clay might have shrunk slightly.  Has anyone else noted this effect?

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 12:03:05 am »
I have used the clay in maple and baked for 30min at the right temp.
Let it cool then sand. It worked fine for me

Jim

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 11:14:42 am »
I'm not sure about the polymer clay but in cooking we caution when sharing recipes that using a 'toaster oven' or a 'convection' oven may change baking times!

Both will cook 'hotter' and quicker than a conventional oven. The heat is more concentrated so it tends to speed the process.

Crossover information!

No Charge!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

chief

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 06:15:57 pm »
i have done one project with the clay and it was made from poplar.  I didnt have any problems with "bleeding" at all.

daliclimbs

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 08:25:51 am »
Hey folks. I have done a lot of inlay with my woodturning. A lot of bleed comes from moisture in the wood. When u put it in the oven  etc, the moisture in the wood escapes and causes the pigment in the clay to bleed. Even if your wood is kiln dried its at about 6-12% moisture..I have found that sanding sealer does help in some cases.

SMF

Teknoromi