Author Topic: HELP!! Please  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
HELP!! Please
« on: July 19, 2016, 09:01:46 pm »
I have been at the scroll saw for several years now so am not a newbie. I use a DeWalt 788. Today I ran into a problem that has me very FRUSTRATED!! I am a bottom feeder. When I try to put the blade into the top clamp It acts like it is being cut off. It snaps as soon as I apply any tension.  I have gone through several dozen blade trying to figure out what is wrong. I have tried to use very light pressure, just enough to hold the blade
Here is what else I have tried so far:
New thumb screw
New set screw
New Blade Clamp
Tried different blades: FD 0/3 Spiral, Galaxy 0/2  spiral (I use spirals for everything)
PLEASE,  At this point I am willing to try anything.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: HELP!! Please
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:22:08 pm »
Hmmm... I feed both ways on my DW788 depending upon what I am doing.   Here MIGHT be the problem Judy. If the top of the blade and the bottom of the blade are at 90 degrees to each other when you go to tighten the bottom clamp it pinches the blade sideways so that when you do apply tension it snaps right where the screw holds it.  The possible solution is to ensure that both the top 1/2 inch and the bottom 1/2 inch are going the same way.  Hope this helps.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:13:09 pm »
Judy - I am not a spiral fan for because of the blade breakage. However, some projects leave me no choice. Hence, my feeling on the matter. I've found FD flat end blades have helped me and more importantly very little tension without tightening the blade clamp. I must admit the lack of tension does allow my blade to flex more than I want. But that's my trade off for "no breakage". I am going to keep my eye on this post. I too would like the real answere.  Cheers Brian

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 05:12:25 am »
I don't know much about the DeWalt saws, but when my saws get to doing that, something is out of alignment. Try aligning your top & bottom arms, & squaring your table. Sometimes if one or the other is out of alignment, that's all you get done is break blades. Also, if you're using a drill press to drill your entry holes, check to make sure your blade isn't bent, & your table is square with the bit. If you're not drilling your entry holes straight up & down, you may be putting an angle pull on your blade. And remember, the smaller the blade, the less tension you need on the blade.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 08:38:15 am »
I know what you are going through and sympathize with your frustration.  When it happened to me, several years ago, I was trying spirals for the first time.  There almost wasn't a 2nd time.

A couple things come to mind.  First, it could be the blades.  I believe that it's possible to get a bad batch that is more brittle than they are supposed to be.  With very small blades, like you are using, the margin for error is quite small.  However, the fact that you have tried 2 different brands would seem to indicate that blades aren't the problem.

Second, it may be that the set screw, in the blade clamp is retracted too far into the clamp block.  If this is the case, then tightening the thumbscrew forces the blade into the set screw hole and stresses it.  This problem usually reveals itself in the telltale "hockey stick" on the blade end.  Again, with blades that small, it wouldn't take much to weaken them and cause them to break.  Also, sometimes there are burrs on the set screw and or thumbscrew that can damage the ends of the blades.  They can be sanded or filed smooth.  However, since you have replaced the blade clamp, set screw and thumb screw, it seems unlikely that this is the problem.

Hope you find the solution.  Good luck!
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 11:16:46 am »
Thanks guys. I will be trying all of your suggestions as soon as I get my lawn mowed in this North Dakota heat. Trying to get it done before the worst of the heat. Of course the battery was dead on the mower so I put the charger on it an d hope for the best. Must be a black cloud hanging over me lately. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 01:06:23 pm »
Somehow things have gotten out of kilter.  Guess it is off to the repair shop. :(
I'm from North Dakota

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 01:08:01 pm »
Probably a bit of normal wear n tear Judy.  Hopefully it is not serious.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

SMF

Teknoromi