Author Topic: got scrollers block  (Read 2405 times)

joey65746

got scrollers block
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:23:53 am »
i have got scrollers block i cant make my mined up on what to make nexed  have any of you all ever ben where you cant come up with the nexed project  i just finshed the grandfather clock  and cleaned my shop all up and built sum nice benchs  just stuck on the nexed project 

tux_linux

Re: got scrollers block
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:27:31 am »
take a break - sit back. Most of us take a weeks break this time of year.

What are your goals? Are you just scrolling for fun or would you also like to make some for selling?
Kids or grand children around?

joey65746

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:26:45 am »
i may just do that a break sounds good   i scroll mostly scroll for  just plum enjoyment it keeps me going  and i sell just about every thing i make  to famly and friends i realy like the big projects with alot of scrolling  i thank there is a contest coming to town the scroll saw ass. of the world will be in springfield missouri in july i wood like to build some thing awsome for it just cant make my mined up what to build  :) i am wateing to get a planer and jointer so i can make panels out of hardwood  in stead of useing baltic birch thats kind of why i cant make my mined up

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:57:39 am »
Personally, I can't saw just for the sake of sawing. If I'm not interested or excited about a project, I don't do it.
I find that if I'm working on something that excites me, I do a better job and take my time to gt it right. I have had people ask me to cut something for them and if I'm not interested in it, I hurry to get it done and that is where most of my mistakes and frustration get the better of me.
Some times it can be awhile before I find an idea or pattern that I want to do to get me back to the scroll saw. In the meantime, I surf the web or make other wood working projects for grand kids and friends.
Just my two cents worth.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:23:38 pm »
Scrolling is MY hobby.
I do what I want, when I want and have to be interested in doing something or I just don't do it.
Right now after the holiday rush I am chomping at the bit to get going on a few things I have set up and ready to go.
I had a good friend who was a popular radio personality in St. Louis who used to often comment on his late night show..."I don't trust a man who has less than three hobbies!"
So I have several and bounce back and forth between them and that keeps me interested.

Today I am doing a volunteer assignment and tomorrow I will get back in the shop and likely be there for several days doing what i have planned.

Next week...who knows?

Opening day for the Rascals is May 20th!

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:40:06 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:38:02 pm »
Sometimes I really want to scroll, I just can't pick a project. When that happens I pick a person and look for something to make for them. usually my mom, or my little brother but sometimes other people. I look through patterns or draw something that is just for them. Most of the time deciding to make something just because I am thinking of someone special can get me excited about cutting again.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 11:54:12 pm »
My to do list is so long that I will never see the end of it plus I am always adding to it so that does not help.  But I also do gardening and I mow the lawns and once in a while I tidy the 'office' come dump it there room which can take a couple of days.  I also read, so I have lots to do apart from scrolling.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

ChuckD

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 12:08:55 am »
Make a 2 do list.  When you see a nice pattern or idea add it to the list.  Also on the list write why you put it on list (eg Christmas for Bride).  Never had Scrollers block.  What is the opposite of scrollers block?  Good Luck   :)

J,Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:30:42 am »
What I do in this situation is one of two things. Either take a break and then it will come to you or prepare many projects at once. This works nice if you have one difficult project and a few easier ones. If you get frustrated with the more difficult one, you can put it aside and complete a simpler one to keepfrom making costly mistakes having to begin again.

But, it is nice to step back and enjoy the other fine things in life.

joey65746

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 05:58:11 pm »
i have just been messing around cleaning up trying to dream up a big project  i am going to have to buy some wood or get a planer fast i have over 2000 feet of dryed walnut but it is all ruff sawn  i gess i need to hire my friend to plane it and i hope he can resaw it for me and get it where i can work it just hate to hire the fun work out

Graywolf

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 06:22:28 pm »
I hae a wife; 6 kids; 12 grankids; 6 great grandkids. I never run out of projects. I am having problems of getting things finished for shows and flea markets. One of our daughters quilts (as do my wife and myself). Her guild is having a show a year from this March. I want to have a spot there, sure hope I can get projects for it....  :D

SMF

Teknoromi