Author Topic: Blade Tip  (Read 2965 times)

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
Blade Tip
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:09:07 am »
Here is a tip that I use for scrollsaw blades, since most blades look alike, I keep a paper and pencil near my saw, so when I take a blade out of the holder, I write the number down, so  I don't forget what blade I am using, and when done I cross it off and put the next number blade down, and so forth, I can be forgetful at times. And for used blades I take a  small piece of masking tape and wrap around the blade with the number on it, so I know its used and put in a seperate drawer.  Edward

wgm

Re: Blade Tip
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:59:55 pm »
If you go to Sloan's Workshop on the net they have blade storage tubes (clear) 4.95 a dozen I purchase two dozen and used the tube holder which appears on Steves site Works great for holding and finding blades

ripchief

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:15:49 pm »
Here's the link to something that I designed and that Steve posted back in March...On a side note, If I use a blade, and still have blade life left in it, I'll tag it with a scrap of masking tape and then put it back into the appropriate tube...I normally don't leave blades in the saw (it's especially bad to leave the blade under tension for too long).

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2010/03/kenneth-van-winkle-shares-his-blade.html

northie66

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 06:36:47 pm »
Kenneth Van Winkle (aka ripchief) is very creative  :D

ufgator

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:25:15 pm »
I'm using the storage system ripchief came up with and it works great for me.  Also to remember what blade I'm currently using I write it on a piece of masking tape and stick it on top arm of my saw. If I replace the blade and want to keep the used one I just put the tape on the used blade and store it with my other used but still useful blades in the pouch. Thanks ripchief for the idea!

ripchief

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 08:36:26 pm »
You're welcome...If anyone has any ideas on improvements, please let me know...I am a firm believer that any improvement in the process will ultimately result in improvements in the end result.

To provide a little background, I developed the "Bic pen" idea, because most of the other ideas that are out there use larger diameter tubes (either commercially available plastic tubes, or home-made PVC tubes)...Being someone that is a hobbyist, and not a production cutter, I don't go through the amount of blades that these higher diameter systems can hold...I needed something that could hold a variety of different sized blades, but in lower quantities...It's amazing what comes to mind when you're walking around a store thinking of an idea, while looking for something that can fit the bill...I often find myself in these situations, where I have an idea of what I want, but there is no commercial product that will completely match the idea...So, the obvious option is to try to find a commercially available product that can be modified to meet the needs of the idea.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 09:03:10 pm »
I designed my system similar to others.  1" thin wall PVC pipe 5" long cut on a 45 degree angle to allow me to access the blades, The tubes are mounted in wood 4" wide aprox 18" long. I buy my blades from Mike so I put the piece of paper with the blade description in the tube with the blades. No writing needed. I mounted a magnetic strip to the board in front of the tubes. If I need to change blades I just put the used blade on the strip in front of the tube it came out of. Again no writing, no muss, no fuss. The tubes are mounted in front of me above the saw... 8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:23:18 pm »
i use a big ole fishing tackle box. i put the blades in the long skinny slots according to their size and each slot has the size of blade written on it. plus i have room for my other supplies in the box.

ripchief

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 09:30:17 pm »
The fishing tackle box concept is actually a good idea...Initially, I looked at stacking the Bic pens inside of one of those compartmentalized plastic boxes...Instead, I put the Bic pens in the fabric roll you see posted...I did however, use the plastic tackle box to store emery boards and glue brushes.

SMF

Teknoromi