Author Topic: "sand flea" or a flat sanding machine  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
"sand flea" or a flat sanding machine
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:56:52 pm »
I am wanting to look into getting one of those "sand fleas" or a flat sanding machines.  Seems a while back Steve did a video.  Any thoughts??? Where to buy? cost?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: "sand flea" or a flat sanding machine
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:21:53 pm »
I am in Canada and the cost of a Sandflee plus shipping in US$ was crazy.

I just bought a Flatmaster from Stockroom supply

http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders.html

Stockroom are in Canada and do ship to the US as they are very close to the border.  They also go to a lot of shows in the US. Check their web site.

You have to buy and install your own motor.  Which can be good or bad.  I got one from Amazon for about $100.

The Flatmaster does not have the outboard attachment but that was not a big issue with me.

Setting up is a little time consuming but once set up it works well.  They send you videos to follow.

I have only used a little bit but I had a large intarsia piece that I wanted to take down by 1/8 and it took a number of passes but it was right on.  I also have used on a few boxes that I have cut off the lid and then it was not perfect as I did on the table saw.  Few passes and a perfect fit.

Overall I am quite happy.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:38:47 am by don in brooklin on »

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:02:43 pm »
I have considered the sand flea several times. I think I would be much happier with a drum sander. Of course it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want out of it. I think a drum sander would be more versatile.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:41:44 am »
I have a sand flea and love it but it is very costly.  I bought mine secondhand from someone here on the forum.  I use a large sanding mop on the side and do use the wand.  It is versatile for scrollers.  You can run a portrait across the table with care and not break out the delicate pieces.  Set up can be a little tricky and it is very heavy but I'm glad I bought it.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 10:16:53 am »
As with anything, it depends on the type of work you are doing.
I make a lot of bowls and vases so I couldn't do with out an osculating spindle sander and flap wheels.
As for flat work. I just use sanding blocks and fingernail files.

Rog

PS I know that has nothing to do with your original question but, I just had to add my two cent worth. :)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Northerner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 10:55:44 pm »
i have the small model and i is pretty handy but i also have a large drum sander and use that a lot more so for the same price get the bigger drum sander, you will be able to use it a lot more.

only reason i have a sand-flea is i found it on craigslist for $75 so i couldnt pass it up. but for what you get, the cost just isnt worth it compared to a normal drum sander.
I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:22:54 am »
I am in Canada and the cost of a Sandflee plus shipping in US$ was crazy.

I just bought a Flatmaster from Stockroom supply

http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders.html

Stockroom are in Canada and do ship to the US as they are very close to the border.  They also go to a lot of shows in the US. Check their web site.

You have to buy and install your own motor.  Which can be good or bad.  I got one from Amazon for about $100.

The Flatmaster does not have the outboard attachment but that was not a big issue with me.

Setting up is a little time consuming but once set up it works well.  They send you videos to follow.

I have only used a little bit but I had a large intarsia piece that I wanted to take down by 1/8 and it took a number of passes but it was right on.  I also have used on a few boxes that I have cut off the lid and then it was not perfect as I did on the table saw.  Few passes and a perfect fit.

Overall I am quite happy.
     I have this "V" sander also.  An 18" one.  I use it  to flatten out the edges of my boxes before gluing the tops and bottoms on them.  I also use it to remove band saw marks after cutting the lids off of the assembled box. Just about five passes is all that is required.  This is the only use I have found for this tool.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Northerner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:22:23 pm »
i think my sand-flea has only been used on boxes i have made and it works awesome. in the three years i have had it, i cannot think of another use i have done with it besides boxes? if i hadn't found it at the price i did, their is no way i would pay as much as they want for them new!

if anyone is wanting a drum sander you should try building your own! go to YouTube and check out some videos and you will see how easy it really is to make one.
give it a try and save yourself hundreds to use elsewhere!
I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 09:30:53 am »
Northerner:  I like our "electric Hammer"  I have made a few of those and sold them.  I even made a few with a plug-in that fits a cigarette lighter point in an automobile. <grin>
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi