Author Topic: Using Silicone spray instead of tape  (Read 5795 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
Re: Using Silicone spray instead of tape
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 11:55:01 pm »
In my summer job I work with plastics and we use a silicone based mold release spray on several of the molds we use. The silicone transfers from the mold to the part in the vacuum forming process and sticks through the cutting and trimming processes and can mess with the sonic welding done later. It is tough to remove from plastic, and a bear to get off of hands. (Don't even get me started about what it does to my clothes)
I have heard the warning about not mixing silicone and wood, but I am interested to see if your process has any contamination issues.

UHMNL

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 03:02:48 pm »
Like I said yesterday. Put some on a paper towel and got some of my hands. Did not have a problem at all. Did not even know that it was on my hands.
I worked great. Try it once Dogman and tell us how it works for you.
FD Mike

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 03:19:52 pm »
Like I said Mike, I know better than to use silione spray or waxes that contain silicone. once it gets on saw tables it will remain and contaminate your workpiece. This will cause problems with finishes. Have you put on a finish on your projects that you are using the silicone yet? Tell us what happens when you do!
Dan In Southern California

UHMNL

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 03:27:19 pm »
This is what I use:
http://www.simsupply.com/p-61204-7-12oz-hv-duty-silicone.aspx?CAWELAID=1303391886.
This what I found:
"CRC" HEAVY DUTY SILICONE MULTI-USELUBRICANT *7.5 oz net *Lubricates and protects most metal and non metal surfaces *Dry film eliminates binding and sticking *Colorless, odorless, non staining *VOC compliant *Can *Discovery CON, NBR, SUP 
"CRC" HEAVY DUTY SILICONE 
Dogman, are you talking about the same product?
FD Mike

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 03:35:17 pm »
I can't say what effect silicone has on wood, but I can testify to what it can do in a shop.

When the guys in our shop were using silicone instead of Top-cote on the table saw and other tables, there were times when the floor around these places were like ice!  Very dangerous!  They have since gone back to Top-cote.

Karl

UHMNL

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 05:58:18 pm »
Hi Karl,
There is no way to spray a very light code on the pattern; than spraying a big amount on tables. There is no way you can get anything on the floor.
Why so negative, Try it and if it does not work for you, so be it.
FD Mike

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 06:30:59 pm »
I'm sorry Mike you feel I am being negative.  As I stated I cannot say what effect silicone has on wood.

What I said regarding how dangerous silicone can be on a woodworking shop floor is fact!  I have seen it and felt it.

I would encourage any new technique, but I also encourage people to pay attention to advise given by knowledgeable and professional people of which many have posted above.

I'm glad it works and I think I'll try it when I get the silicone from work this week.

Thanks for the tip.

Karl

UHMNL

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 08:12:15 pm »
I am sorry Karl,
However you need very little silicone on the pattern. A very small mist is enough.
FD Mike

tux_linux

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 06:49:11 pm »
Thorsten,
You better check with a company who makes it before suggesting some what you are not sure about.
FD Mike

I guess they are a bit picky on telling anyone what's inside - don't ya think?

But I know that fluid silicone is very thin. To get it sprayed with a can one needs a certain consistency of the fluid - so I guess they don't use it pure. Would also be too expensive.

UHMNL

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 08:38:13 pm »
Thorsten,
I was not talking about liquid silicone. It is a spray.
Wonder how all the companies making tape; put it on the tape, so that you can un-roll the tape.
I love to hear from folks who tried it.
FD Mike

stipes

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 03:36:53 pm »
Mike. I use silicone spray on my tables, saws, joiner, planer, ect, and I never had a prob. Maybe where I'm using a oil base stain too why it dont show up. LOL!.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 04:29:28 am »
Just to fan the flames a bit here. I use silicone spray to lube and prevent rust on my saw table, after spraying it on I let it set a minute then polish it dry with paper towels. So far no problems with the finishes on my projects. I normally cover both sides with blue tape anyway because I have a hell of a time getting clear packing tape off. I do use the clear tape over the pattern and spray adhesive on the blue tape to attach the pattern. Works for me!
Sign me slippery table Gabby  ;D
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi