Author Topic: Using Silicone spray instead of tape  (Read 5797 times)

UHMNL

Using Silicone spray instead of tape
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:45:45 pm »

Did some experimenting this afternoon. I always suggest. like many others, to use tape to help with eliminating burnig. The reason for that is, that the tape has a chemical on top, like a silicone to release friction.
I found a can of silicone in the shop and started to cut in 3/4" Oak till it started to burn the wood. I clued a piece of paper on the wood and sprayed a light coat of silicone on the paper.
The burning stopped. It also seemed that the paper came off a lot easier but that can have some to do how much glue was used.
I would like to hear from others if they would have the same experience and let me and others know.
Would make it a lot easier than to use tape.
FD Mike

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Using Silicone spray instead of tape
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:09:53 pm »
I personally would be afraid the silicone would leach into the wood and cause problems with the finishing process but it could be open to experimentation.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 07:22:52 pm »
I have been woodworking for twenty years and have been told many, many times to never use silicone spray in a wood shop as the silicone will interfere with some finishes. I have seen pictures of what it will do, so I never use spray silicone in my shop! I prefer to use clear packing tape on top of the pattern. If it is thicker wood like 3/4" Oak or maple, I will also apply clear packing tape to the bottom. If I do that, I will apply a blank sheet of paper first then the clear tape. The tape and the pattern will come off easily with a heat gun or a spray of mineral spirits. Using this method, I never have any burning.
A lot of folks use blue painters tape on top of the wood instead of the clear tape on the pattern. I have a hard time removing the remnants of the blue tape around very small cut outs, so I prefer not to use it.
Dan In Southern California

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:53:14 pm »
GB,
There was nothing on the wood. The glue might have prefended that.
Dogman, I never heard of that before. Used slicone for a long time in the shop and never had a problem with the finish.
I posted the tread just to find out if others would try it.
FD Mike
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:08:46 pm by FD Mike »

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:06:04 am »
i would say it depends on the type of silicone that is used, but a interesting subject
Jimbo

UHMNL

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 10:07:04 am »
I used a very, very light spray.
Next time I will use a small paper towel, spray it and than wipe it on the pattern.
FD Mike

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 10:45:13 am »
I also have been told that silicone can cause orange peel and fish-eye problems with a lot of clear finishes.  Many won't even use it on table saw tops and fences for rust prevention for the same reason.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

rob roy

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:54:08 am »
Hi guys, Go in to a paint shop with a can of silicon you will get lynched immediately. It is carried all over the place by the slightest airflow. I've still got the bruises on my butt to prove it and that was a number of years ago LOL.
Rob Roy.

UHMNL

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 02:30:29 pm »
Why go in a paint shop and start spraying around.
Never heard about that.  ;D Does not make sence.
FD Mike

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 11:35:51 am »
I would also never use silicon oil with the wood - also I'm using some kind of to lube here and there (e.g. the blade clamps) once in a while.

UHMNL

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 12:00:14 pm »
I did not know that silicone was an oil.
Are you sure Thorsten?
FD Mike

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 12:04:14 pm »
the silicon spray? I don't know exactly, but I'm pretty sure that it's a silicon oil in the spray can.

UHMNL

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 02:36:54 pm »
Thorsten,
You better check with a company who makes it before suggesting some what you are not sure about.
FD Mike

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 04:15:02 pm »
In some oils they put silicon.
Simple example, the oil of your car.
It's because of the silicon in the oil that you need to change oil after a lot of miles (kilometers) instead of every 10000 miles as it was about 25 years ago.
So why shouldn't they put silicon in other oils?

UHMNL

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 06:18:10 pm »
Let us forget about oil.
Just try it and you will find out how nice it works.
This afternoon, I put it on a paper towel and wiped it on the pattern. Put glue on the back and put it on  oak. No sign of anything after I removed the pattern.
It is the way for me from now on.
FD Mike

SMF

Teknoromi