Author Topic: Quick Levers  (Read 2484 times)

pddesertrat

Quick Levers
« on: June 10, 2014, 10:45:05 am »
I am looking at the "Quick Levers" at Mike's Workshop to put on my DeWalt scroll saw.  Two questions:

1 - Are they worth it?

2 - Do they work on the bottom where you connect the blade under the table?

Well one more question if I may:

3 - Is there a better way to make an upgrade to the knobs that come with the saw?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:40:28 pm by pddesertrat »

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Re: Quick Levers
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:34:52 am »
Good morning. Did you know that Steve has patterns for knobs/levers for the Excalibur and DeWalt in the pattern catalogue under (tools)? Cheers, Barry.

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 03:19:39 pm »
I did not, but I have the plans downloaded now...  Thank you

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:48:48 am »
I ordered the quick levers from Mike and I got one for my DeWalt and one for my Ex. 21.  Put the one on my DeWalt and found it to be a great improvement.  Only put it on the the top did not want it for under the table.  When ordering just put what you want onto the order form Mike's not gotten around to putting them onto his site yet.  Would I recommend them, YES I would.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline me5269

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 12:21:12 pm »
Good morning. Did you know that Steve has patterns for knobs/levers for the Excalibur and DeWalt in the pattern catalogue under (tools)? Cheers, Barry.

I used steve's on my DeWalt's top clamp. Works great, but be careful, its easy to put to much pressure on the knob and can spread the blade clamp apart over time. (Don't ask how I know)  ::)
- Mike

pddesertrat

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 01:22:50 pm »
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to try to make some from Steve's patterns. 

I also ordered me a deadman foot pedal.  Only thing left that I know I need is a light/mag. glass.  Got my brother checking yard sell, may come up with something.  I also added a lift arm sometime ago.

Offline me5269

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 03:36:31 pm »
I use one from HF. I haven't had any problems with it in over 2yrs. With 20%off coupon, its less than $30.
http://www.harborfreight.com/fluorescent-magnifying-lamp-60643.html
- Mike

pddesertrat

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 03:50:31 pm »
Thanks, I'll have to check my local store.  Some times they won't let me use a coupon on something that in on sale.  Sometimes I get by with it???

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 09:13:48 pm »
For pddessertrat,  Got a $70 magnifying lens with circular light for Christmas.  A BIG WASTE for me.  If you put the lens above the blade clamp, the focal length is WAY off.  If you try to position it vertically. between you and the blade, it's in the way.  Biggest problem was that the lens vibrates, due to the really long mounting arms.  Only thing mine is good for is that it's a very nice $70 light, but you can get a good light for a lot less.

jerry1939

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 09:35:12 am »
For pddessertrat,  Got a $70 magnifying lens with circular light for Christmas.  A BIG WASTE for me.  If you put the lens above the blade clamp, the focal length is WAY off.  If you try to position it vertically. between you and the blade, it's in the way.  Biggest problem was that the lens vibrates, due to the really long mounting arms.  Only thing mine is good for is that it's a very nice $70 light, but you can get a good light for a lot less.

jerry1939

I have a similar light to the one linked in one of the above posts. Mine uses a circular florescent tube. Anyway, I have my Dewalt on it's stand alongside a bench. To avoid the vibration I mounted the light arms to the bench instead of the saw stand. The focal distance on mine is great and really wide. I can put it close or far and it's still clear.

One additional thing. the white plastic cover around the lens and over the bulb is translucent. the light that close to my face bothered me so I painted the white plastic flat black. That way the light only shines down and not in my face.

Ray

UHMNL

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 05:58:21 pm »
Hi Marg,
It is on my website: https://www.mikesworkshop.com/newprod.htm.
I have only Hegner on on top but on the bottom is DeWalt and Excalibur.
FD Mike

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 05:37:14 am »
I use the one from Mike and to me they are worth every penny, but I use a Hegner...
so don't know for the DeWalt...
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 02:15:48 pm »
Re the light/magnifier, I got one from HF a couple years ago and really like it.  They sell two different ones, and I got the one with the flip up cover for the magnifier.  It was a couple bucks more, but a better light and the flip cover keeps the dust off the magnifier when I'm not using it.  No problem with vibration.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 03:00:15 am »
Hi Marg,
It is on my website: https://www.mikesworkshop.com/newprod.htm.
I have only Hegner on on top but on the bottom is DeWalt and Excalibur.
FD Mike

I have already ordered them from you Mile and received them.  They are on my machines and I will I had had them a long time ago, they work great .  Thanks

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

SMF

Teknoromi