Author Topic: Blade Change  (Read 1427 times)

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
Blade Change
« on: October 01, 2010, 06:56:05 pm »
Good Evening Folks!

I am sure I could probably find the answer to the question some where but thought I would ask.  Since the FD blades are such high quality, and I have not had my first one break yet.  How do you know when it's time to change out the blade?  I am currently using the #5-SR.  It's still cutting smoothly, but I am worried that it might break while cutting.  Any precautions to take?  Should I be worried about flying derbies?  On another note, I printed out a few copies of a practice pattern, that has various lines, curves, and shapes.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Blade Change
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:01:10 pm »
I've never encountered any "flying debris" when a blade breaks.  I suppose it could happen.  It just normally startles the crap out of me.  I change the blade when I notice I'm forcing the wood or my neck or forearm muscles seem to be getting tired, or if I notice a major change in burning of the wood.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:13:06 pm »
I agree. When you start to have to push the wood rather than guide it or you start burning the wood. I use to go till the blade broke. Now I can tell when it is getting dull and change it. I have never had flying debris but it sure will make you jump when it breaks.  8)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:25:18 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

daneklund

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 07:17:53 pm »
Keep your square handy and keep checking the pieces you cut.  If they start not being square, the blade is getting dull and you are probably applying too much pressure to make the cut.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 07:19:27 pm »
Hey Steven, I tell my students it's time to change the blade when the blade is no longer doing what you want it to do. Keep in mind that blades are cheap, so there is no reason to keep using a blade just because it hasn't broken. If it won't follow the line, or your pushing the workpiece to hard, it's time to change the blade.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 09:00:27 pm »
I had my very first one 'break' ABOVE the work piece yesterday! Darn near wet my jeans!!!
My finger was very close to the cutting line at the time and the broken end just nicked me. Barely drew blood but sure scared the holy beejeezus out of me.

I agree, the economy of 'pushing the life' of a blade is is a false concept. As soon as I feel myself starting to 'push' the wood instead of 'guiding' it I know it is time so at the next move to a new cut I automatically change it out.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dan

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 02:24:23 am »
I do not have a problem breaking blades either. Some times they come loose from the holder, when I did not install it properly. In have found when they get dull you get more fuzzys, also the blade tends to wonder and you have to push harder.

Dan

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 06:59:54 am »
What they said.  If you are pushing the wood or having a tough time staying on the line - change the blade.

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 01:51:19 pm »
Thanks all for the replies, I have noticed today, after cutting for a bit the wood started jumping around.  I am starting to get a better feel for the saw.

Steven

SMF

Teknoromi