Author Topic: I'm thinking about getting a router  (Read 4978 times)

northie66

I'm thinking about getting a router
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:36:00 pm »
I have to ask though... when people do edges with the router, is it done freehand like this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot6pfnDabAQ

Or do you generally use a router table?  Is that the only thing the router table is for?

Also, I have a dremel.  Would the dremel be good enough for this use?  I have my dremel hooked up to be a drill press.  It might be a pain switching it out but I'd do it if it would work just was good as a router.  Do you think I'd need the dremel router table attachment?

Joesawdust

Re: I'm thinking about getting a router
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:49:59 pm »
Janet, I get better results using a table. On a lot of my frames I put some kind of decorative edge on them, when I do this I run the whole piece of wood through the router, and the same for the rabbet on the backside, before I cut it to length. You get a lot better results that way. Someone posted a link to plans for a dremel router table a few weeks ago on anther forum, I don't have the link but did download the plans, to look them over and it was pretty simple looking. Let me know if you are interested in looking at them.

Greg

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:04:57 pm »
I use my router table 90% of the time. Very seldom do I freehand. I built a Dremel router table and love it for small projects. You won't go wrong with a router table.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:07:21 pm »
Hey Janet, I have a router table too. I almost never remove the router to use free hand, however using a router freehand is not to hard to learn. Using a Dremel for edge routing, you will be limited to very small bits. I would look at a 1-1/2 horse power router. If you have a woodworking store near you, I would check out what is available there. Ask for advise on what you might need, Then shop around for a good price.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:11:26 pm »
Russ any chance for a photo of that dremel router table?
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:24:22 pm »
Here you go Janet....

Mini Router Table for the Dremel....

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/routing/mini-router-table/

I just received my replacement Dremel 300 yesterday and will be making this little guy tomorrow!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:41:23 pm »
Thank you for posting this, I was going to ask this question in the near future.  If I may, I would like to add a question that is related, what is the difference between a router table and a shaper table? I was looking on Grizzly's website and seen a mini-shaper.

Steven

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 09:49:38 pm »
Hey Dan....you're up on this one!

Shaper vs. Router???
Definitions, Please!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:03:45 pm »
A router table uses a removable router that you can use free hand or mounted in the table. The router table basically turns a router into a shaper.
A shaper uses different cutters that tend to be more expensive. It is a dedicated machine with a non removable motor. If i were to get a shaper, it would be a full size shaper, not a mini. Typically a shaper would be used in a cabinet shop or a professional wood shop.
Cabinet shops might have three or four shapers each set up for a specific cut for rail and stiles and raised panels.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:13:25 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:42:54 am »
Janet  &  Judy check your e-mail.

For a novice I would puchase a router table. You will get more use from it.
I have both router table and shaper. I use the router table all the time. I use the shaper once a month to shape the faces of the picture frames I will be using.  8)

Offline paul44224

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 05:14:27 am »
I built and used the Dremel table mentioned. It's okay, but don't expect to use it a lot. The bits dull quickly.
Because of my budget, I will be looking on Craigslist for a router/table set-up. I have seen some extremely great deals out there. I recently bought a Craftsman 12" bandsaw, with 4 assorted new blades for $25!

northie66

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:38:58 am by Janet »

dankc908

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:16:15 am »
I have the Grizzly mini-shaper http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Shaper/G8693 and I love it!  I actually traded my 'full-size' router and table for this because it is quite easy and simple to use.  I wouldn't go back!!!  This is great for the smaller pieces that are used by scrollers.

Dan

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:26:25 am by Russ C »

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 07:23:11 am »
Janet,  I have a bosch table and router set up andI have that ryobi router that I use free hand.  (I don't want to take the time to install/uninstall the router from the table all the time.  That Ryobi router is a decent little router for the money, but I do not care for that table.  I sold a fair amount of them and the customer feedback wasn't always good.  I was in Lowes yesterday and they have a bosch portable table setup that looked real good - it came with featherboards and the table was very user friendly.  More expensive but well worth the investment.
It all depends on what you want to route.  If you are looking for decorative edges on 1/4 and 1/2 inch stock - stick with the dremel.  We discussed that before when you asked about the dremel table.  If that is what you want it for and do not want to change the base all the time, buy another dremel.  I have 4 of them set up in different configurations.  They will be having all kinds of special packages coming up with Christmas.

SMF

Teknoromi