Author Topic: Squaring Blade Help  (Read 1380 times)

kalipbean

Squaring Blade Help
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:08:34 pm »
Hey all, new to the forum but have been reading daily and lots of great information here. Ive been scrolling for a month or two and have been decent at it...

Today im working on a project and I made my final cut around a heart shape piece (the outside of it) and noticed it was angled really bad. I checked to make sure my blade was square to the table and it was perfect. I cut a scrap piece of wood, and it was a bit angled as well.... Im a bit stumped here and not sure how to fix it.

Im using a Craftsmad 16" saw (I know...not the best thing around, but good enough for now)
Flying Dutchman 2/0 Reverse blade and im cutting poplar 3/4" thick.

Any ideas? I do notice there is another screw on the opposite side of the set screw which holds the blade, the manual says its for fine adjustment but my blade is square...so I honestly do not know what to do.

Becky

Re: Squaring Blade Help
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:40:47 pm »
I'll defer to those more experienced than me but, just off the bat, that seems like an awfully fine blade to be using for 3/4" wood.  For that thickness of wood, I'd probably go with a #5 or at least a #3.  I'm sure others can explain the whys and wherefores better than me but I think blade choice is likely to be the cause of your problem.

kalipbean

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:47:00 pm »
The blade I was using is brand new. I know you want to tighten the blade to get a "c" note sound...in all honesty I have no idea what a "c" note sounds like...lol. With the new FD blades, they cut real well unlike the Bosch ones where I had to "push" the wood, now I guide it more. Perhaps it was a bit loose and I'll try tightening it more and seeing how that goes. Thanks for the input, i'll give er a whirl!

And to Becky, the wood is actually 5/8". I just double checked. I tend to lean towards the smaller blades as their easier to control. The particular piece im working on has a good amount of hearts, 100+ to be exact, all somewhat small, but I am new to the hobby so maybe a bigger blade will help. I do have some #5's and #7's on hand.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:02:45 am »
I'd definitely switch to the #5.  Poplar is rather dense to begin with.  And like mentioned make sure you have enough tension.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 12:18:30 am »
All good advise above. A 2/0 blade is to small for 5/8 poplar. You are flexing the blade when cutting which is causing the beveled cut. For the wood you are cutting I would use a #5 or maybe a #3. As far as tension goes, I will tension the blade as tight as I can get it without the blade slipping in the blade clamp. Also to help prevent blade slippage, Sand the ends of the blade before installing it. This will take off the oil that is present from manufacturing.

And most importantly, Welcome to the forum!
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 02:37:06 am »
I have been cutting 3/4" oak today [jigsaw] and used a jig saw blade no probs. you have to make sure you do not move your board side ways [easier said than done] push it strait and do not force the wood. the thicker the blade the thicker the kerf, be patient
Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 04:16:36 am »
I agree with everyone. The 2/0 blade is to small for 5/8" wood. The blade is flexing to much. Also you can check the blades tension by the amount of flex the blade has. After setting the tension take you finger and gently push the blade from side to side. It should only flex only 1/8".  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:29:24 am »
I agree, the blade is flexing.  No matter how hard you try sometimes if the blade is too thin for the stock, you are going to get a bevel.  It just cannot keep up.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 10:26:30 am »
All blades are suppose to flex a little (1/16"- 1/8") and as has been said, the blade you are using is a bit small for the material thickness. But, I think that the real problem is controlling the wood. I think you are pushing the wood too hard either forward or, more than likley, to the side as you are cutting. This could be caused by a dull blade or the 'human tendancy' to get ahead of the blade on making curved lines. It happens to all of us at one time or another.  ;D  It still happens to me if I'm not careful.  ;D

Rog

An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

northie66

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 05:12:41 pm »
I'm a "wood pusher" myself... I have to constantly stop myself.    :P

kalipbean

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 05:48:58 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. As mentioned, the hearts I am cutting are very small and It seems when I try the larger blade I cannot get it to round the corners as nice as the 2/0 blade. Maybe I just need practice, I'll try the #5 as I have 3 more to cut.

And a side note, I have broken about 3 or 4 blades during this project. So i assume Im getting the correct tension or maybe too much. One time, the blade broke (only a 1/2" of the bottom of the blade) even before i cut any wood!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:30:38 pm by kalipbean »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 07:16:21 pm »
One time, the blade broke (only a 1/2" of the bottom of the blade) even before i cut any wood!

That is a sign of to much tension.  Back it off some. After setting the tension take you finger and gently push the blade from side to side. It should flex 1/8".   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

kalipbean

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:31:04 pm »
Update

I Tensioned the blade 1/8" or the best I could see. Guided the wood slow as a turtle, and sped up my saw and it was straight as an arrow. I might add I am new and have been setting the saw at a very slow speed, I guess the higher speeds make me feel I'll get off track. Maybe it was the speed, or the tension or the pushing...I dont know.

northie66

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 10:53:18 pm »
Don't feel bad kalipbean... I always had mine at full speed till they learned me :)

SMF

Teknoromi