Author Topic: Removing router bits  (Read 1120 times)

Offline hardkore

• View Profile
Removing router bits
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:39:12 pm »
I was having problems with router bits getting stuck in the router. I also fish and a lure that I use is called a "grub" it is made of a rubber type material available at most Wal-Marts and bait and tackle stores. I cut off a 1/4" piece and placed it into the router chuck. All problems with the bits are gone. I should point out that the router is mounted in a table.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
Re: Removing router bits
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:18:19 am »
Good tip Hardcore.  Router bits often get stuck when either the stem of the bit or the inside of the collet gets a little corrosion or dirt on it, or if the bit is bottomed out in the collet when tightened.  I like the collets on a couple of my routers which self eject the bits when the nut is turned in reverse.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Removing router bits
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 12:17:42 pm »
You should never bottom out a bit in the collet.
And be sure all parts of the collet  are clean and dust free. The bits will work their way up if they are not securely gripped.
DAMHIK!  ::) It just happened to me twice the other day because I was in too much of a hurry to blow the dust out. The bits didn't come completely out because I was routing a dado, but they worked their way up far enough to cut through the top of the work piece and ruin the part and scare the bejesus out of me!  :o  ::)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

SMF

Teknoromi