Author Topic: Gluing to Painted Backer Boards  (Read 1863 times)

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
Gluing to Painted Backer Boards
« on: January 27, 2019, 10:32:30 am »
A new pattern for Valentine's Day was recently posted by Steve.  I am referring to:
http://www.stevedgood.com/2019roses.pdf

This is similar to many others, where a pattern is attached to a painted backer board.

A question about this - how do you secure the pattern to the backer board?

For one thing, I understand that glue does not hold well on a painted surface.  I have not tried doing this, since everything I have read says that it is not a good idea.

For a second thing, if you are using glue on such narrow pieces, how do you avoid squeeze out?  Any squeeze out would have to be a nightmare to clean up, given the narrow spaces, and the painted background would make the glue that much more visible.

Thanks in advance!
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Gluing to Painted Backer Boards
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 12:53:46 pm »
A new pattern for Valentine's Day was recently posted by Steve.  I am referring to:
ht
[/quote]

I have not had a holding issue with glueing to a painted backboard, The backboard is  spay painted with a flat paint leaving a better glue up surface than a glossy or polyurethane finish. Squeeze out is always an issue so I spread the glue (tight bond 3 is what I use) very litely on the back  using a small paint brush. Clamping in several places sometimes I use a board between the clamp and glue on piece to spread the clamping pressure. I usually leave the clamping for 15 or twenty minutes then examine for squeeze out, using a Q-tip or pointed nail to remove excessive problematic glue squeeze out.

I have also used watered down acrylic brush on paint on a backboard.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 04:28:00 am »
I have had good luck with Weldbond glue.  It was recommended y Carole Rathburn for doing bowls but I have used for all sorts of applications.

It dries clear and so depending on what you are doing you can ignore squeeze out.  If you are painting or staining after you have to scrap off as per the above post but Weldbond sets in about 5 minutes.

I also use according bottle applicators as they apply a very thin strip of glue.  These are available at Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20004&cat=1,110,42967 but I have got cheaper at my local wood turning shop.

After my wife borrowing my applicators and glue for her craft project Santa bought her own set and she sticks all sorts of stuff to stuff.  Like buttons and ribbons on painted services.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:00:45 pm »
I just completed gluing the letters to the ribbon rack this morning with Wellbond.  The backing is sprayed and the letters are 1/8 Baltic Birch.  Real solid.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:19:06 am »
thanks for sharing, your scroll work turned out very well, a piece of functional art. liked the color blue

SMF

Teknoromi