Author Topic: How to install Pegas Scrollsaw Chuck head  (Read 2191 times)

Offline hockeyiowa

• View Profile
How to install Pegas Scrollsaw Chuck head
« on: June 30, 2018, 02:39:28 pm »
Hi folks, just purchased the Pegas Scrollsaw Chuck Head from Bear Woods Supply. Wondering if anyone has any tips on installing this. I’m a beginner and do t want to screw it up. No instructions or tool info. Thank you everyone.😀
Thank you. I hope everyone has a great day and please be safe.

Offline RickKr

• View Profile
Re: How to install Pegas Scrollsaw Chuck head
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 01:00:06 am »
hockeyiowa,

I'll see what I can do.  I just received a set of the Pegus Heads today and installed them on my DW788 without much issue.  I was puzzled by the lack of any instructions.  The kit comes with two anodized aluminum heads, four sets of: a socket head cap screw (SHCS), precision sleeve, two washers  and a nyloc nut.  The SHCS is 3mm hex key, the nyloc nyu is 7mm, so you will need those tools to install the new heads. 

First, you'll have to figure out how to get the old heads off.  On the DW788, the SHCSs are Torx 25 drive but the nuts were 7mm, so you'll have to figure out what tool is needed to loosen your saws head screws.  I used a 7mm socket/wrench as that provided the most secure grip on the nuts. 

Once you get the screws loosen and about ready to come apart, take them apart slowly, one, to avoid dropping anything and two, to ensure you take it apart bit by bit.  Take one screw out and then the other.  As you take the second one out, the head should come loose.  On the DW7888, the arms have roller bearings through which the sleeves and screws fit.  The DW788 sleeves are not quite as wide as the arm head and neither sleeve came out when the screws/head came out, so it wasn't immediately obvious that they should come out too.  But they do need to come out in order to be replaced by the new sleeves.  I don't know what saw you have so things my be different for you with the sleeves and bearings. 

An interesting difference between the Pegas and DW788 head/sleeves is that the Pegas sleeves are longer and extend through both sides of the head flanges that fit over the arm heads.  So, you'll have to position one head hole over the arm hole and insert the sleeve through the first side of the head and through the bearing in the arm head and into the Pegas head hole on the other side. 

Then feed the SHCS/washer through that assembly, making sure the sleeve doesn't get pushed out the other side of the Pegas head.  Then put the washer/nut on to the point that the nyloc nut grabs.  In my case, the SHCSs that came with the Pegas head were quite long and so there was a lot of tightening before they started to snug up against both sides of the head.  Feed the second sleeve through the other hole.  It was tricky getting the second arm head/bearing lined up in the Pegas head so the sleeve would feed through.  Once done, put the nut and washer on and snug up. 

Once both are on and snug, you can tighten them to final position.  The SHCS head/washer and nut/washer tighten against the ends of the sleeve, leaving the head slightly loose and able to slide side to side a bit, at least in my case.  At first I thought this would be a problem, but I found that once both screws on both heads were tightened and a blade was mounted and tensioned, the side to side motion seemed to not be a problem and the heads did not shift noticeably during operation. 

Repeat the above with the second head, paying attention to get the heads oriented so the blade tightening screw/knob are on the same side. 

I did not mention anything above about head orientation, but the blade mounting area of the heads (the wider part), goes on bottom for the top head and on top for the bottom head, so the blade mounting area is toward the center on both heads. 

That is how I mounted mine. I hope this is correct, as I'd never had any scroll saw heads off previously, so I was flying by the seat of my pants.  Looks right and seems to work right. 

Good luck,

Rick

SMF

Teknoromi