Author Topic: Requesting your input.  (Read 1336 times)

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Requesting your input.
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:17:57 am »
I have a customer who may want more than 1 sign so I need to really knock this first one out of the park.

I got some help to modify the font so it did not contain drop outs, but now it is so fragile in a couple of areas I'm torn as to how to handle it.

I think when I cut out the black I will then need to attach a backer board.  If this is what I do what should I use?  Keep in mind this will be subject to weather as it goes over the door to a horses stall.  The sign is being made out of WRC (western red cedar).  I'm leaning toward using another thinner piece of WRC as the backer.

Remember I'm removing the black.

Thanks for any help!
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

wsmith0896

Re: Requesting your input.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:26:00 am »
If it were me I would cut out the white and mount the black letters on to an oversized pine or clear poplar plaque with ogee edging.

When clear finished the red of the cedar will pop out against the blond backer.

Chachi

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:29:20 am »
Thats A great job on the pattern but what I would do is cut out the letters to say 1 1/2-2 Inches gives it that 3-d look then I would cut out the 2 horse heads the Granpa did on a backer and then glue the letters to it Use A thick Backer though that way your letters are strong and will hold up to weather...This was Just an Idea.

I agree with WSmith
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:31:00 am by Chachi »

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:06:39 pm »
Except customer wants the black removed and he wants the letters 3.5 inches tall.  Great suggestions though fellahs.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:19:02 pm »
Hey Dunk, One thing you might want to do is make the blank a little larger so the letters aren't so close to the edges. If that wont work then us painted WRC as a backer. If you don't want to paint the backer, oil it. It will look a lot darker for the contrast that you need.
One other thing, Can you make the font a little smaller?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:22:05 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 12:23:00 pm »
Hi dunk, I have an idea. How about cutting it twice, only shrink the second one down a little so the letters are a bit smaller, and set it behind the first one, that will make it stronger and cool looking, and you can put a backer on it too

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:29:38 pm »
I think I may have convinced my customer to allow me to cut out the white and attach the letters to a backer board.  I'm waiting for him to think it over.  That is my preferred method but I have to do what the customer wants in the end.  If push comes to shove I'll place a thin backer just for stability.

Thanks for the suggestions.  They are appreciated.
Mike

Offline Joleet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 01:04:26 pm »
Boy Dunk...there is a lot of excellent ideas here.  I usually use painted 1/8" BB plywood for a backer and glue and nail it to the back for stability.  Question,  why wouldn't a piece of black 1/8" sheet of acrylic work?  It would then be waterproof....Ron
Ron... Twin Falls, Idaho

Me Slow?  I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done!

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 04:40:52 pm »
Ron,
That may work as well, however i was able to convince him to let me cut out the white and attach the raised letters to a backer board.  I'll post a pic when it is complete.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.
Mike

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 08:27:11 pm »
Ron,
That may work as well, however i was able to convince him to let me cut out the white and attach the raised letters to a backer board.  I'll post a pic when it is complete.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

Just be sure and not trust glue completly, drill first & use brads or screws too so you don't split the wood, or it could separate due to the weather!
Should look great, good luck and I hope he wants more made!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SMF

Teknoromi