Author Topic: A little out there.  (Read 1499 times)

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
A little out there.
« on: January 03, 2014, 12:47:43 pm »
I've had a customer request a project.  I'm not quite sure what to do with this one.  Any help with a pattern would be appreciated.
Here is an excerpt from his email..
My cousin's kids' names are Adam and Maya. If you write the two words out in all caps, they are mirror images of each other except for the D in Adam and the Y in Maya. I thought for my cousin's birthday, I should get her a solid wooden (2" -3" tall, 3/4" deep) thing that is carved (cut out) in the shape of the letters ADAM, but the D is further inscribed inside a heart. When you flip it around, it looks like MAYA but the Y would be inscribed on the flip side of the heart.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:52:37 pm by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: A little out there.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:49:44 pm »
how about cutting 2 signs out of 3/8 lumber - one reading ADAM and the other MAYA - then glue them together back-to-back? They could sandwich a dark backer if you want to keep them separate. Then you can use the heart if wanted, or not. You could stack them for the A, A, M to keep them aligned, then separate to cut the D and Y. 

This could also work with an inlay of the letters. Using anFDUR#1 blade (0.011 thick), to get 3/8" to inlay flush, cut at about 1.7 degrees. Or 2 degrees to keep it a little proud then sand it down.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »
If you write the word
ADAM on  piece of paper then hold it up to a light looking through the paper so the word is on the back side of the paper you will see   MADA  replace the D with Y.  This shows/demonstrates I only need one thickness as the letters look the same in reverse except for the D and Y.  So if I cut the heart out and then slice it in half and do a negative cut of the D and Y in the 2 separate halves they can be glued back to back with a divider and will fit nicely in between the A's.  Is that clear as mud?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:04:46 pm by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »
Dunk: my thoughts exactly, cut it that a way and when finished I wood love to sea it from both sides.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »
Now I have to convince the customer it is the right way to do it...Thanks for the feedback.  if he approves of the proof and pays the price I'll post a finished pic.
Mike

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 03:47:53 pm »
Makes sense. I think we were on the same track except I suggested splitting the full blank before cutting the letters. Then the heart is not needed (unless the customer wants it).
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:36:37 pm »
The customer requested the heart especially.  He has accepted my price.  I'll get it done first of the week.  Will post a pic.
Mike

SMF

Teknoromi