Author Topic: Need help with word art for my son.  (Read 4248 times)

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Need help with word art for my son.
« on: May 30, 2013, 01:20:59 am »
My son Sean is graduating on the 15 th with his masters degree in psychology. He will need a name for his desk.  I would like to surprise him with a hand crafted sign.

I need some suggestions or patterns for his name but I'd like something unique not just a long continuous name, I can do that. I am having a mental block on this one.

Do you have some suggestions for me please?

SEAN MICKELSON is the name.   I'd appreciate any help! I need to ship this to him within a week.

Thanks in advance...
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Need help with word art for my son.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 09:34:34 am »
Here's a couple of WordArt nameplates done in MS Word. Insert/Word Art, pick a character type, enter your text, then Text Effects and pick an effect (to get the curvature in the characters). You can change the font, size, bold, italics, etc. The bottom 2 signs are bold+underlined, 48 point, Times New Roman. Word doesn't have a way to add a connected underline so you need to play with that. Copy and paste into Gimp to edit the graphics.

In the bottom sign, I worked in Gimp to move the underline up to the characters. CorelDraw has some fancier ways to attach text to a base but I don't have a copy of CorelDraw.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:23:07 am »
Mike, Congratulations to you and your son,
How about this one?, this is sort of sign for psychologist (Google'd it :) ) tried to come up with something hope it is close to what you want :)

Mahendra
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:43:39 am by Tomsunnu »
mahendra

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:14:55 am »
Thank you both for your responses.  

Eieio,  Thank you for going to that trouble I do appreciate it.  You did a nice job however I already did something similar but not exactly what I have in mind.

Mahendra excellent as usual.  If i were to find a different font would you be willing to make the change for me to look at?
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Pinelog

• New DeWalt 788 Owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »
Congrats on the new Doctor in the family.

If you are stumped for a font for your project I found a site a few years back http://www.dafont.com/ that lets you type in your name or phrase and go through the thousands of fonts they have to see what you like.  Most are free or for personal use and very simple to download and install in windows.

Post your finished project! I would love to see what you came up with!

Walter
Walter

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 03:34:55 pm »
Thanks Walter.   
Mike

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:45:58 pm »

Eieio,  Thank you for going to that trouble I do appreciate it.  You did a nice job however I already did something similar but not exactly what I have in mind.

Mahendra excellent as usual.  If i were to find a different font would you be willing to make the change for me to look at?

Mike, absolutely I would :) and as Walters mentioned Dafont site ,has tons of free fonts to download, have a look and let us know :)

Mahendra
mahendra

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:17:43 pm »

Mike, absolutely I would :) and as Walters mentioned Dafont site ,has tons of free fonts to download, have a look and let us know :)

Mahendra

Mike , here are some of the fonts to help you out  :)
mahendra

tdub4ever

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 10:38:08 pm »
How's this

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 11:11:22 am »
That looks very professional.  Would you be able to place the SEAN on top of his last name so i could see how that looks Pretty please.  Thank you so much.  I'm running out of time...
Mike

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 11:16:56 am »
Mahendra I kind of like the 3rd from the bottom with the first name on top of his last name.
Mike

tdub4ever

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 11:33:37 am »
How's this?

tdub4ever

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 11:40:32 am »
Or this

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 11:48:46 am »
Or This One  ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:51:51 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 11:49:27 am »
I hate to take up too much of your time.  I like it stacked better but neither of those fonts works very well for that, don't you agree?  I'm not just sitting back i am looking through a lot of fonts.  I may just go with your first one as I am running out of time.  Thank you Thank you for all your efforts, each one of you.  I so wish i could design my own...

Russ that may be it.
  I'll ask a few other folks for their input.  Thank you very much.  You were posting while I was...
Mike

SMF

Teknoromi