Author Topic: The Hardest Thing in Scrolling For Me  (Read 5697 times)

pddesertrat

The Hardest Thing in Scrolling For Me
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:40:22 am »
So far, the hardest part of scrolling for me is determining which direction to put the blade on the scroll saw, which way is up.  I always try the holding the blade at eye level and dragging it between my index finger and thumb, method and I probably get it correct 60% of the time.  Once I start scrolling I can usually, pretty quickly determine if I was correct or not by moving the blade lightly along a cut and seeing which side of the blade cuts as I move it.  I don't know why they don't mark the top of  the blade like the FD #5 blades. 

Are there other way to tell other than what I stated?  I have spent some time search the internet for answers but as yet haven't found much.  Seems to me it would be covered in every tutorial or video about blades.  Maybe I just the alone in this, but it should be easy in my opinion.  I know posting this will help show how stupid I am, but well that is life. :(

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: The Hardest Thing in Scrolling For Me
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 11:43:45 am »
I use a magnifying glass. My eyes are old. ;)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

ChuckD

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:10:17 pm »
A trick I use when the blade is to fine to see the blade in my magnifier is to run a piece of cotton over the teeth.  You can get a good indication from this.  But sometimes I just make a mistake and, like you know, when you have made an error.  Good Luck, and remember, if it is wrong that is not a big deal.  Just make sure the teeth are facing you because that will be a big deal.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:08:54 pm »
It can get really hard when you are using reverse tooth blades. Usually the fewer teeth are on the bottom so you have to check it very carefully. I just use the "finger/thumb" method also and some times I have to check the blade from both ends two or three times before I install it.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:36:42 pm »
On a news feed a few weeks ago I noticed one scroller that spray painted his blades 'cause he had a problem seeing the blade against the pattern. Cheers, Barry.

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 08:37:49 pm »
When you get a new pack of blades try dipping the top in some paint. As long as it is not too thick I don't think you will have troubles putting it in the blade holder.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

pddesertrat

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 08:58:36 pm »
When you get a new pack of blades try dipping the top in some paint. As long as it is not too thick I don't think you will have troubles putting it in the blade holder.

Are you saying that when they are packaged they are put in top side up?  I never thought of that, I hope Mike responds on that.  I assume he repackages to send the amount requested.  If not, it is a good idea but I still have to figure which way is up.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 09:39:38 pm »
I use alot of 2/0 reverse Olsen blades.  I always look for the tiny space where the teeth change direction.  It works!
MOONIE

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 09:45:15 pm »
I use mostly FD UR # 5.  Near the "top" that blade has a slight kink in it.  I eyeball the blade front to back to see it.  No more problems.

jerry

pddesertrat

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 10:08:45 pm »
I use mostly FD UR # 5.  Near the "top" that blade has a slight kink in it.  I eyeball the blade front to back to see it.  No more problems.

jerry

Yes that is great on their #5's but it is not there on the other sizes.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 01:01:12 am »
I sometimes hold the blade against a white sheet of paper to see which direction the blade should go.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 12:34:41 pm »
The little kink is on all the UR blades from Mike.  I use the drag across my thumbnail method if it catches i know which way the teeth are pointing.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

UHMNL

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 03:05:54 pm »
Steve Good had a nice article about this, called dimples:
I Love Your Dimples:

I get emails all the time asking what blades I use. I answer Flying Dutchman brand from Mike over at www.mikesworkshop.com. Most long time scrollers will have their favorite blades. Some will have multiple brands with certain blades from each brand and others are brand loyal. I am the brand loyal guy. I have used just about every blade out there but I always end up back to my Flying Dutchman blades. It's just a preference. I won't get into debates over which blades are best. My opinion is obvious but use what works for you.

If you do try the Flying Dutchman blades I have a recommendation.  I have always been a fan of the Scroll Reverse model for the splinter free finish on the backside of the cut. A while back when I was talking with Mike he suggested the newer Ultra Reverse blades. Mike never steers me wrong so I bought a bunch of different sizes.

The big feature of the blade besides the reverse tooth pattern and the hardened steel was the dimple. The dimple serves a very simple purpose. It lets you instantly know which end of the blade goes up. At first I thought it was more of a gimmick than a true feature. Boy was I wrong. That dimple comes in super handy especially on the smaller blades. Even after 30 plus years of scrolling I would still occasionally install a blade upside down. My fingers are callused and feeling the small tooth pattern was not that easy. Now I never even have to think about it. Grab the blade by the dimple and install it. As I get older the simple things seem to make more of a difference to me. I love that dimple

I talked to the president about this a while back. I asked if they ever would put it on other blades with reverse teeth. He told me that he will discuss this with the production people. He liked the idea and would let me know when they would go in production.
FD Mike

pddesertrat

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 03:56:43 pm »
Well thanks for chiming in Mike.  I agree with you on the FD blades, and if the makers really wanted to make all their blades over the top they would add the dimple.  I prefer the TC blades so far and only the #5's have the dimple.  Don't know why they stopped there.

UHMNL

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 04:30:06 pm »
Hi pddesertrat, the wife does all the repacking and I asked her if she know about the mark on FD-TC # 5. Yes, she said.
I hope the company let me know when they put it all the blades with reverse teeth.
All the numbers of the FD-UR have it and many have told me that they really like it.
FD Mike

SMF

Teknoromi