Author Topic: blade questions  (Read 1306 times)

Offline scottisscrollin

• Scott Kaser newbie scroller
    • View Profile
blade questions
« on: April 04, 2018, 12:26:50 am »
Hello Steve
do certain saw work better with certain blades ?
i bought 140 olson skip tooth 0/2 size and they seem to break twice as fast and crappy skill and bosh blades
is there any truth to my question or am i just being goofey?
i am using a porter cable 18" variable speed sroll saw just like the one had reviewed
i did have to do alot of tweeking to get it running smooth and take some of the side to side movement out of the blade although i did not get much out it still has side to side movement .. could that have something to do with the blades breaking?
i am a little frustrated. I am going to try pegasus and flying dutchman blades also
Scott Kaser

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: blade questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:17:14 am »
Is it possible the upper and lower blade attachment are out of line? I had a Dremel scroll saw that became problematic until I found the right alignment through finicky adjustments thenadded a drop of lock tyte to the threads

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:28:17 am »
I use the same saw and use a lot of 2/0 blades and I found I tighten the bottom very tight and just about half as much on top. This saw is famous for bending blades at the top with too much tightening. This weakens the blade and it breaks faster. Hope ithis helps

Offline scottisscrollin

• Scott Kaser newbie scroller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 12:26:18 am »
thanks for the reply's
yes I have adjusted a great deal to upper and lower blade holders
after exhausting examining, I have determined that the lower arm moves slightly to the right as it tops the stroke and same on the very bottom of the stroke
i have checked the arm and bushing alignment and I am pretty sure it's either the shaft of the motor is slightly bent ( not too likely)  or the elliptical may be either machined incorrectly bent
of course, since I have taken it part way apart porter cable will do nothing. LOL, that's what I get for being a fixer and not taking it back. 
Scott Kaser

SMF

Teknoromi