Author Topic: Many Photo to Pattern Request  (Read 2326 times)

SamCec

Many Photo to Pattern Request
« on: August 30, 2010, 06:34:55 am »
I hope I have the name correct but I believe it's Ron that does the "Photo to Pattern" request. He does a great job. I would like to have one of my dog.

Ron, how much do you charge.?

I also have another question: A couple months ago, in one of the scroll saw magazines, I don't remember which one, I saw an ad for a "picture to pattern" computer software. It cost about $80.00 (U.S.). I was wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about and is it worth it?

Sam

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Many Photo to Pattern Request
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 07:21:04 am »
Sam, The program you saw is probably Coyote Stencil Shop.  I lived in the dial up world until about 2 years ago so I am way behind in my computer skills.  I bought Coyote Stencil Shop and am very pleased with it.   The basics were easy to get, I am still working on the advanced features of this program.  The more computer literate on this forum will be able to help you with inkscape, print shop, and a whole host of others that you may already have or can download free.  Coyote came with a manual that has pretty well got me through making my own patterns from photos.  I don't regret buying the program.

SamCec

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:36:50 am »
I was under the impression that Coyote Stencil Shop (or whatever program I'm referring to) was specialized software to produce output to be used in scroll sawing.

julief: from your feedback, I got the impression, any good graphic software can be used. Is that correct? If so, I have Adobe Photoshop CS4. Can that software be used?

Thanks,
Sam

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 07:53:36 am »
Sam, Coyote Stencil Shop? was developed with serious hobbyists, crafters, and professional artists in mind. It is suppose to allow you to quickly and easily turn your digital photos into high quality stencils. It is on sale for $79 right now.

I have been using Adobe Photoshop for about ten years to do all my photo needs. It can be used to make stencils too.  Just don't seed the need for Coyote Stencil.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SamCec

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:17:38 am »
Sam, Coyote Stencil Shop? was developed with serious hobbyists, crafters, and professional artists in mind. It is suppose to allow you to quickly and easily turn your digital photos into high quality stencils. It is on sale for $79 right now.

I have been using Adobe Photoshop for about ten years to do all my photo needs. It can be used to make stencils too.  Just don't seed the need for Coyote Stencil.  8)
Russ: As I mentioned before, I have Adobe Photoshop CS4. I don't know how to use all of the features. Are there any instructions you can give me to create scroll-saw templates using this product?

Thanks,
Sam

Offline Joleet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:14:45 am »
Sam....Post a good pix. of your dog and maybe someone here can make a pattern for you.
Ron
Ron... Twin Falls, Idaho

Me Slow?  I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with half of it done!

SamCec

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 10:34:14 am »
Here is a ".jpg" of her.This is a picture of her 2 years ago. She is now over 14 and in bad health. It's coming close to "that time".

ChaplainRon

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 01:43:48 pm »
Check out this tutorial on Youtube. It shows how to make a pattern from portrait with Photoshop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u1C3sBGqgo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:18 pm »
Good find there Ron. He went through it pretty fast but he did cover the basics. I would have rather listened to some Alan Jackson though. LOL  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

grampa

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »
Hi Sam, the photo was a bit small but I gave it a go, hope its of use.........Paul ;D

SamCec

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 06:39:22 pm »
Grampa: Thank you

Sam

SamCec

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 06:58:46 pm »
Grampa: I downloaded it and printed it. It's terrific!!!!!!

Now I need help. I've never did scroll sawing from a template like this. I only learned how to use a scroll saw about 6 months ago.

When you do something like this, is all the black areas of the drawing cut outs? If so, how do you handle (using the picture below) the ears or the very top of the head? They are black.

Are cutouts like these usually put on a backing?

Steve and others: Thanks for this forum. Newbies like myself learn a hell of a lot.

Sam

ChaplainRon

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 07:43:10 pm »
Attach the pattern to your wood. Drill a pilot hole in each black area to put the blade through. Carefully cut out each black area. Then put it on a black or dark background of wood or felt and frame it as desired.

You will have your first real portrait by scroll saw and it will be a work or art.
I can't wait to see your finished product.

Ron

SamCec

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 08:05:18 pm »
ChaplinRon:

I'm going to give it a try. I hope I'm not to embarrassed to show what I did.

To Everyone, Thanks again.
Sam

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 08:12:20 pm »
I think you will amaze yourself, sam.  Happy cutting.

SMF

Teknoromi