Author Topic: british cars  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Martin

• View Profile
Re: british cars
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 05:23:25 pm »
Decided to restart this, this evening. There's an island in the back wheel which I didn't notice until too late. Probably not very noticeable, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me because I know about it. :)

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 06:18:22 pm »
Your cutting looks great. I see where the floater was, bit I don't think it takes away from the image. If you kept it, you could glue it back on the backboard, but I would leave it like it is.

Did you try the compound version?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 06:57:40 pm »
Did you try the compound version?

No, I've never cut a compound one and never even thought to try to be honest. I probably haven't got anything to cut it from as I think I only have plywood.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 09:23:03 am »
Hey!....Plywood is not all bad! You could be amazed at what you can do with it if you just try.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 09:53:56 am »
Hi Rog,

I'm not complaining about plywood, it's the only wood I have, most of it from building sites. ;D
Yes, plywood can be very versatile, and it's a great looking vase, but not the type of thing I would want to make, I don't have enough patience. :)

Martin

gilljc

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 02:11:59 pm »
Hi

thought I should reply, as I asked for patterns in first place  ;) my friend is keen on the compound cut pattern, but I don't think I could cut it on scrollsaw, I have a baby bandsaw, but it is about to go back to Draper to be checked out as the table won't stay steady ( no use for compound cuts)
When I get it back I will be straight in there giving it a go, and will get back to you when I do
Really glad Martin gave the other pattern a go and it looks great!!!  :)

thanks again for your help

Gill

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 08:49:32 pm »
When you get to the compound, take a look at the dimensions - 1.5 wheels, body is 1.5H, 3.0W, 7.5L. So the car has some pretty uniform ratios of the wheel diameter. It should be easy to scale up to whatever size your friend wants.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 02:17:19 am »
Hi, Ray,
Thanks a lot for helping with the request. Excellent proto-type you have shown us!
I would also like to give the compound cut a try but, I must be a bit slow because I don't understand what the second cut is for the body (your pic shows the top view but, no side view)
and I don't understand the second cut on the fenders ( your pic only shows one view).
Can you explain to me what I seem to be missing, please?
If I'm too dense to see somthing that should be easily understood, that isn't your fault!
God Bless! Spirithorse55@hotmail.com

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 11:00:37 am »
Spirithorse:
This is a complicated form of compound cut with resulting parts (the fenders) that are not symmetrical. If you have not done compound cuts before, you might start with something like the Christmas Tree Icicle ornaments in the Holiday issue of Woodworking & Crafts to get a feel for them. They are pretty amazing when you unwrap them.

Here's a side view of the prototype:

Here's a top view (glue was still setting at the time):

A compound cut uses 2 cuts to get a 3-dimensional shape. We are making multiple compound cuts to get (1) the 3D body, (2) the 3D left fender, and (3) the 3D right fender. I started with a blank cut from a piece of pine 2x4, 1.5" x 3" x 7.5".

After drilling for the axles, the 1st cut gives the side view of the body; looking from the top, it still looks like a 3"x7.5" rectangle. My saw (EX-21) is not big enough to cut through the 3 inch dimension so I did that cut on a bandsaw.

2nd cut is the top view of the body and strips off the 2 fenders. The body rought shape is done. But at this point, if we look at the fenders from the side, they will be the same shape as the body side view. So they each need another cut.

3rd cut is to get the side view of the left fender. That makes the 2 cuts to get the compound shape of the left fender. This is tricky because you can't reassemble the full blank to make that cut (because you would wreck the body part). One way to simplify it might be to start with 2 original blanks, make the 1st & 2nd cuts on both, then sacrifice the body of the 2nd blank to help cut the fenders for use on the 1st body. I did not do that and as a result got some rough cutting as seen in the photo. 

Forth cut is the side view of right fender.

Since we cut the fenders from the same blank as the body, the fenders should be able to glue right back onto the body. You might test-fit them, then do some shaping with a sander to get them closer to the desired overall shape.

A Morgan enthusiast, or a detailed modeler, may not be satisfied with what I show here - it is not smoothly finished, or include details like seats, headlights, bumpers, etc. It is the way I like toys - looking more like a sketch than a photograph, simple to make and to fix if a happy hooligan rolls it down the steps. But probably not meant to be mounted in a showcase. That detailed finishing takes the bulk of the work, and if it's what you like to do then have at it.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, let me know how else I can help.  

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:15:58 am by EIEIO »
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 01:00:35 am »
Excellent explanation, Ray and, once again, excellent pattern!
I did not realize that the fenders were cut off the body.
I was picturing one compound cut for the body and then compound cuts for each fender.
I'll snag a copy of your pattern and keep it for a time that I have extra time (if there is such a thing) and when I feel adventurous. I'll definitely let you see how my attempt comes out when I get around to trying it.
Thank you very much for your time and efforts. Really, Truly appreciated greatly.
God Bless! Spirithorse

SMF

Teknoromi