Author Topic: Not so much a pattern request, more a how to request.  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Martin

• View Profile
Not so much a pattern request, more a how to request.
« on: March 29, 2013, 12:26:20 pm »
I want to make something for a friend for doing me a big favour recently. He has a small business selling old Suzuki motorbike spares, so I want to make something with his business name - G.S. Spares - in external letters on top, with Suzuki below with internal letters. I hope you know what I mean by external and internal, 'cause I think I just made it up.   ;D What's the easiest software to do this? Can it be done in Gimp? If so, is it possible someone could tell me how, or would it need a full tutorial?

edit: this one of steve's illustrates what I am wanting to do, but I want to use the correct fonts.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:35:51 am by Russ C »

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
Re: Not so much a pattern request, more a how to request.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 03:05:57 pm »
One of the fonts used for the internal letters is called "Stencil" and it can be bold, italic, etc. Stencil will keep the internal loops in the letters from falling out.

I attached a sign done in MS Word. You can edit the letters, change the font size, whatever works. I think Steve uses Corel to make his attached signs.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 04:03:19 pm »
One of the fonts used for the internal letters is called "Stencil" and it can be bold, italic, etc. Stencil will keep the internal loops in the letters from falling out.

I attached a sign done in MS Word. You can edit the letters, change the font size, whatever works. I think Steve uses Corel to make his attached signs.

Thanks EIEIO, but my apologies for being unclear. I meant I wanted to use the font that my friend uses for his business and the one Suzuki use for their logo. That's why I wanted to know how to make it from scratch. I made his logo with Coreldraw in about 1992/3 with Coreldraw 3 and Windows 3.1, but only a jpg exists now so I don't even have the info on the font, never mind recall how I actually did it. :)

Unfortunately, LibreOffice mangles your doc, so I don't have anything to view it, otherwise I may still have been able to use it.

Martin.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:48:53 pm »
There's nothing special in my doc - just the name G S Spares and "Suzuki". I can PDF it if you want, but it won't be editable.

If you want to send a picture of the logo & sign, I will see if I can find a font that looks like it. We can grab the Suzuki symbol from the Internet easy enough - is this the one?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:33:17 am by Russ C »
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

tdub4ever

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:31:01 pm »
Hello Martin, is the logo you're looking for G.S. Spares or GSpares?

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 05:47:44 am »
Hi Martin, here is my attempt, hope it helps.

Keith.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 06:22:23 am »
There's nothing special in my doc - just the name G S Spares and "Suzuki". I can PDF it if you want, but it won't be editable.

If you want to send a picture of the logo & sign, I will see if I can find a font that looks like it. We can grab the Suzuki symbol from the Internet easy enough - is this the one?

There is a Suzuki logo with the red "S" at the left, which is the one I want to use, though that's no problem, I can easily do that. I suppose what I really need to know is how to run the top letters into the 'base' as Keefie has done in the post above, except I want the letters all the same height. The little pic below shows the correct font for GS Spares. Thanks for bearing with me, my brain is mush at the moment due to some stronger than usual painkillers. GS Spares should be as it is here, not with periods/full stops as in my first post.
Martin.

edit: Just a thought, but would it be possible to make the actual GS Spares logo without losing the "floating" S in the middle? I don't know that I would want to cut it at the moment, I'm just wondering what it would look like.
I really must spend some time with a vector paint program and learn how to do this.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:34:39 am by Russ C »

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 08:07:02 am »
Talking to myself now, these tablets must be stronger than I thought.  :o

I remembered I had got Inkscape Portable installed but never used, so I took a look and came up with the pattern below. I still need to find the correct font and do some tweaking, but this is close to what I want. I think I need the bottom part to be smaller than the top, and it still looks just that little bit too plain. I wish I was as artistic as my mother was, but she had more in her little finger than I will ever have. :)

edit: Oops! I changed the attachment on my first post by mistake. I am even worse than I thought I was today. :(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:35:34 am by Russ C »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 09:41:42 am »
The "Suzuki" logo and the "Suzuki" name are trademarks and cannot be posted on the forum. Even as a pattern. Read ;
"Pattern Uploads" "Posting Patterns", "Copyright Trademark Issues"!!!! ? on: October 08, 2010, 06:49:55 PM ?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 09:43:18 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 10:21:17 am »
Sorry about that, Russ. It's almost like companies don't want their names to be known, yet it's all free publicity for them.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 10:46:25 am »
Russ - sorry about that. I looked for a copyright or trademark on the company web site but didn't see any. I'll avoid any of that in the future.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 02:05:17 pm »
What a day, if it could go wrong, it did. :D Anyway, thanks to EIEIO for unknowingly leading me on the right track to make my own pattern, Keefie for making one, and tub4ever for making me realise I didn't need the periods/fullstops. Also, apologies to the forum for trying to put it on the road to bankruptcy. :D

I managed to cut something that is nearly what I want. It's a bit small, but it was practice. The blade kept getting stuck while cutting along the grain, which was something I wasn't expecting, and at one point took the job out of my hand. (Why did I remove the hold down foot?) You can see where it carried on cutting without input from me at the top of the second "U", but worse, it broke off half the "G". After gluing it back on, I was vacuuming the dust up but got too near and the piece disappeared up the vacuum pipe. Or so I thought. Told you it was a bad day. I took the *full* bag out of the vacuum, tore it open and searched through it. Nothing. I stepped back and stood on the piece which had been on the floor all along.  Oh, how I laughed. Well, no, I didn't, but the wife did when I told her. She's such a dear. :D

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 03:34:31 pm »
Looks pretty good. It gets much easier with practice.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Lancaster Ohio
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 04:23:54 pm »
Yep, it gets easier with practice,  but it's still a good looking piece of work.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline Tomsunnu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 09:56:36 pm »
Martin, you did an excellent job on the pattern as well as cutting :) it is practice,practice and some more practice that is all. as for loosing the part of  G ,no problems we have all been there and done that :)

Thank you for sharing your work

Mahendra
mahendra

SMF

Teknoromi