Author Topic: VIBRATION ?  (Read 4108 times)

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
VIBRATION ?
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:49:07 pm »
Hi All,
There is a video on youtube by Adrian Iredale with a glass of coke sitting on the work surface with the scroll saw turned fully up and the glass and coke sitting pretty much motion less! what i would like to know is what kind of saw do you have ? and how much vibration do you have with it when it is turned up to full speed. Does anyone else have a saw that runs as smooth as that ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xT5DOmhYGZ4
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Mainewoods

Re: VIBRATION ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:54:55 pm »
Pete, I didn't try the coke test, but I did try the nickel (5 cent US coin) test.  A nickel is approx 1/16" thick.  I stood it on edge on the work table of my new Delta saw, started the saw on low speed, then slowly turned it up all the way to maximum speed.  The nickel just stood there, which is considered a "Pass" on the nickel test.  Old saw couldn't pass this test.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:13:09 pm »
tried a full can of coke on mine, and it vibrated and bounced it right off the table at full speed.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:07:12 pm »
My DeWalt will pass the nickle test too! The DeWalt and the Delta are the exact same saw except for the color and emblems.
keefie, Don't you have an Excalibur too? Oh yeah, yours has the vibration issue. Sorry about that!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:09:24 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:10 pm »
yep I got the EX16, Had phone call from Axminster yesterday, they still looking into the problem and wanted me to know they were not letting matter drop till they get it sorted.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:24:55 pm »
I put a penny on edge on my EX21 table and it stays there.
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:57:43 pm »
I must try the coin test when I'm in the garage tomorrow, but I think my DeWalt would pass but not so sure about my Ex21

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 09:20:23 am »
I will test with the Hegner.
The coke won't stay absolute calm, but not bounce around.

Interesting comparison - kind of like the Big Mac index in Economics.

Offline glenn wouters

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:02:29 pm »
I didn't try any test like that on my EX21 yet.
But i know if i would have put a glass of milk on my old saw, the milk would turn into butter after a while.
Another good thing about my EX21 is that i can hear my radio while scrolling.
With my old machine i didn't need a radio at all.

Glenn, Belgium

stipes

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 03:35:03 pm »
The Craftsman I got isnt a bad saw to start off with, but I couldnt use the light that came with it. Really messed with my eyes at certain speeds with the vibs.

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 05:41:14 pm »
My EX21 is perfectly behaved while no cutting is in progress, as soon as I start cutting, it starts making a noise like hammer drill hitting a girder. I have worked out that it is so solid in build with that thick solid steel plate, that it does act like a girder, and have decided to apply a dampening effect to the underside of the plate by adding some of that (I don?t know what they call it) padding they add to the inside of car doors and trunk wells to dampen the noise and vibration. My old cheap saw has no such problem as the plate is ally and turns over at the edges, so being less dense, absorbs the vibration a lot better.   Iggy   P S. Adrian Iredale has a wonderful vid on building Claton Boyer's Bird of Paradise clock. 
Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:59:45 pm »
I'm curious why the European EX saws are having this issue where EX's from North America and Australia and New Zealand are not.

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 01:41:26 am »
I'm curious why the European EX saws are having this issue where EX's from North America and Australia and New Zealand are not.
This i would also like to know Dan! We dont get the choice like our American cousins as they dont sell the Dewalt or Delta over here . Dont know why as they sell all the other dewalt tools ?

Iggy, with no cutting in progress does your EX21 pass the glass or coin test ?

Tvman44, Interesting with coin ,What part of the world are you from?
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 05:57:25 am »
My saw does not have a dedicated stand, I put it on a ?? ply base to be able to clamp it to my fold down work top. So the undercarriage is not as firm as a butchers block either, only fairly rigid, bearing that shortfall in mind, when I put it on the worktop without clamps and turn the speed up full, it will slowly walk its way off the table. When clamped down, the vibration is transmitted to the work bench and everything on the bench starts moving around. Yes I have done the adjustments as described by Steve, and there is very little N/S movement, I have also tightened all the nuts and bolts, around the saw and arms, so there is little to no movement E/W either.
When I think about it, the whole thing is so solid, that it is like a hammer drill with this mechanism inside leaping up and down at 1,500 revs/Min. There is no rubber bushing to dampen it down, if there were, you would lose the direct drive effect and therefore some accuracy, because the workings would be independent of the top. Unfortunately, along with the vibration comes the noise at higher speed, and as described earlier in this posting, I was going to add some soundproofing to the top and possibly to the sides as well. But before I do that, I intend to make a temporary ?? MDF plate to replace the steel one, to see if that helps. I will let you know how that performs when I have tested it.
   While on the subject, ask Keefie about his problems with the EX 16, he is into his third one now and still having problems. Being fair to Axminster, the supplier over here, they are actively trying to sort him out but how far does patience get you. I have no idea where your saws in the States come from but ours are made by General International of Montreal. Unfortunately the manual omits to tell us where they are made.      Iggy.           
Frustration is the food of invention.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 12:03:49 pm »
I have no idea where your saws in the States come from but ours are made by General International of Montreal. Unfortunately the manual omits to tell us where they are made.      Iggy.           

General International is a division of General. General tools are made in Canada. General International means they are imported, usually from China or Taiwan.

SMF

Teknoromi