Author Topic: so when making up pricing  (Read 4160 times)

jason03151980

so when making up pricing
« on: January 27, 2012, 08:29:52 am »
so how does everyone figure out there pricing on items when all said and done say u make a mini clock i know u need to include price of clock plus the wood u use so what do u useally price a mini clock at do u go by percetage or just figure ok i spent 10 buck lets make 10 bucks and charge 20

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: so when making up pricing
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:11:47 am »
i know a few people got a timer at there saw so they know exactly how long it takes to cut the projeact and adds that to there cost. say they charge $10 a hour and it took them 4 hours to cut they charge $40 plus materials.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:17:44 pm »
What it really comes down to for me is what I think someone will pay for it. Lets say you spend 10 hours on a project. The material cost is $10. So if you charge $10 an hour, and double your material cost, your project will be priced at $120. I know it is not going to sell at $120, but I know it will sell at $80. I realize I'm not going to get rich at this but you will never sell anything if it is overpriced.
This is just my experience.
Dan In Southern California

Marshall

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:22:13 pm »
What it really comes down to for me is what I think someone will pay for it. Lets say you spend 10 hours on a project. The material cost is $10. So if you charge $10 an hour, and double your material cost, your project will be priced at $120. I know it is not going to sell at $120, but I know it will sell at $80. I realize I'm not going to get rich at this but you will never sell anything if it is overpriced.
This is just my experience.
This is kind-a the way I price also - if your making a special project for someone and price it before you start it and don't know the person . The way I do it - is I want half up front for the special order .........

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:09:20 pm »
Your rite there Dan and you also have to take in to consideration of where you are going to sell at fairs retailers or to friends and neighbors. I do as Dan does look at a project and price it at what I would like to buy it for, I cut some frog pond puzzle and they took 3 hours with painting, I put a price of $30 on them and sold one to a friend I showed
Jimbo

Graywolf

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:18:23 am »
This is one of my biggest problems, priceing. I took a couple of projects to a gallery the other day, for him to sell. They were word art projects, so not much time in them. I put $20 & $15 on them. I try to think what someone might pay for them. In this gallery there is really no Scroll Saw work there. One person has a train with four cars on it. He has $60.00 on it. The owner of the store said it has been on his shelf for six months, too long methinks. Another guy has Post Office Box saves for $80.00. The owner says he sells quite a few of thoes. I think with me putting actual Scroll Saw projects in the gallery, they just might sell????    Who knows??

Terry Jackson

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 09:59:44 pm »
Made a bunch of bowls last summer, some large (12") and some small (4") and some in between..  Priced the large ones at $120 and the small ones at $35.  Sold all the small ones, moved the large ones down to $65 and sold almost all of them.  Made 31 bowls, sold 29.

We sell to the Alaska tourist trade, though 85% of the tourists are from Anchorage and we are a mere 125 miles away on the Kenai.  And we are at least 75 miles from a Cruise Ship.  Net of everything, local wood and local subjects sell.  The price is independent of my labor or costs, so I avoid Intarsia and go for stack cutting 4 or 5 objects at once, and try to use local wood milled locally with raw edges and cut so any subject has some right facing and some left facing.  I also sign each piece.  Silly, but helps. 

Dgman has the code.  It is the market you are in, and you need to understand the market.  Mine is Alaska and wildlife and native materials.  Don't waste money on exotics, they want birch and cottonwood and spruce in my market, your market will be different. 

jason03151980

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 10:18:47 pm »
thanks for the help guys im not looking to become rich or anything for something i like to do other whys it just becomes a job but some side money would be great to have thanks again for the help

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:09:27 pm »
In my opinion , your reason for selling is also important along with the venue of the sale.  I sell at festivals and street fairs here in West Texas and find that it is very seldom that I can sell anything  for much over $20.  I have had stuff in consignment shops but sold very little there.  Their markup puts  the price too high.
     My reason to sell things is to get rid of completed projects. (I could  burn them I guess).  My friends and relatives have received many as gifts and I donate some to charities but if I sell even more, I can make more!  The fun part.
     The way I look at it is:  Someone else is funding my hobby.  Also my low prices allows folks that do not have much money to spend, can also have some hand made artsy stuff in their home.
     Attitude is everything.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Graywolf

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 03:33:38 pm »
The guy that owns the gallery I put a couple of projects in last week asked me what I wanted for my work. His cut comes from that price. He doesn't add anything to it. I think that's fair.

Here where I live there is a Face Book page called "LaSalle County Garage sale". I am thinking about putting something there and see what happens.  :-\

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »

? Reply #9 on: Today at 03:33:38 PM ? Quote 

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The guy that owns the gallery I put a couple of projects in last week asked me what I wanted for my work. His cut comes from that price. He doesn't add anything to it. I think that's fair."
  I agree it is fair but: 
     If  you want $50 for your stuff he takes a cut from that? So then you do not get what you wanted, right?  You get a percentage less?  So if he takes 40% you get $30 not $50?  To get the $50 you need to price it @ a percentage above that. $70 in this case.  Would it sell at that price?  Mine did ..... sometimes, but after a year in the store.   It may be worth a try, but in my experiance, most never did sell at that price.

20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi