Author Topic: I know you cannot win!  (Read 2178 times)

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
I know you cannot win!
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:43:02 pm »
I visited a craft fair today and I must say the organizer did a good job as there were only crafters there. I did not see very many resale items at all. I went as a shopper not a vendor.  There was only one scroller and he had a great assortment of items. Many were the same patterns that I have been producing. You could easily tell he had great talent with a saw.  The scroller was not present but I had a great talk to his wife. He is retired and loves to scroll and scroll and scroll. That is all he is interested in. His wife sells his items and has no idea of the value. Sue Mey crosses $10.00, (two layers of birch). Beautiful fretwork cut from 1 inch oak with a clock for $20.00.
I felt like buying a ton of the stuff and using for my next craftfair. I only hope we both don't book in as vendors at the same craftfairs.
Has anyone else run up against this situation?   >:(
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Bill P

Re: I know you cannot win!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 04:03:16 pm »
Not only have I seen this, but I was doing it before people on this site told me to raise my prices.  I'll bet the guy is only charging enough to replenish his supplies, and isn't concerned about the profit. 

Bill

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:28:27 pm »
Clyde,
I know you were kidding.  You would never purchase another scrollers work and then re-sell it would you.  One of the problems we run into is the weekender or the retired folks who don't care if they make a profit, their choice of low prices to increase sales injures those of us who need/like to make a profit.   The serious scrollers deserve a reasonable profit for their efforts.

jmho
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:24:18 pm »
I disagree with some of those remarks, if you are a professional wood crafter and you and are making a living from it you should be looking at selling to retail outlets and not worrying about what you can sell at W/E fairs and markets.
I am a hobbyist and sell my work at what I consider wholesale price, my club members and some others say I am to cheap. but I sell what I make, and make a profit
Jimbo

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:53:55 pm »
I said, " I felt like buying". I didn't because number one it would  be unethical,  number two the individual has the right to sell his wares for whatever he wants  and third, it is not my work, I want to sell my work. I did have a talk to his wife and suggested to her that the items were worth a whole lot more. I hope she took the hint. I do have several gift stores that take my work on consignment. I am not retired and do not depend on this to supplement my income but I do intend to develop the business for when I do retire.  Thanks for the feedback.  ;)
Clyde

Terry Jackson

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:00:05 am »
I would like to mildly dissent, but note the differing circumstance.  I own a bit of property on the highway in Alaska and the step-son sells chainsaw bears and eagles and other wildlife sculpture in the store and out on the pad.  I piggyback on his traffic selling a variety of scroll work and yard shadows.  I also buy items from local crafters at whatever price they ask and put them in the store at whatever price I think is consistent with our existing work and customer preferences.  I ask them to sign their work.  They get paid what they were asking, and I have more inventory.  But please note that we are selling Alaska art and souvenirs and we do not represent all work as ours, only that is was hand crafted in Alaska and signed by the crafter where possible.  Also, I would not buy anything during a show, but I would talk to the crafter about buying at the end of the show.  I believe it is an ethical and proper approach, but invite differing opinions.
Terry

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 05:42:41 am »
I agree Terry. Privately I may approach the scroller and make a proposition to buy some of his work but have him sign his things. I believe people should be given credit for what thay do. To do otherwise would be plagiarism.
Clyde

thumbs

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 07:32:47 am »
Clyde--I'm like the guy you saw at the fair--I scroll because it is a passion with me--If I didn't got to a couple of shows a year, I would have a house full of craft work--at this shows I price my items for what I think people in my area can afford. If a child comes to my booth and wants a certain item, we will negotiate the price-an example was a small boy who wanted one of the toy cars I was selling for $5--he only had $3 so I told him to pick out the car he wanted, sold it to him for $2 and left him a dollar for some ice cream. He had a great big smile on his face..It just doesn't get any better than that--If your in this for the money, it will soon become a job and I already had one of those--JMHO------  Richard aka thumbs ;D ;D

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 05:34:07 pm »
Hi Richard, I guess we are all in it for different reasons, but a common thread I see is that we all love to scroll. And that is a good thing seeing as there are so many other undesirable things we could be at.  I have made items for people and given it to them just to see the smile on their face, It is a wonderful feeling. It is not all about the money, but it helps ;D
Clyde

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 06:57:55 pm »
I find it kind of hard to price my items (see link in signature). I have lowered the prices online to get into business and to be competitive to other sellers.
But I also see the laser cut ornaments in the home store - 2.49 Euro for the lousiest unfinished poplar in a double pack.
I can understand that some see them self as a competitor to that. WE see the difference - do our customers always see the difference?

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:30:29 pm »
As I said you are a professional or a hobbyist, I do woodcraft to keep me busy and my mind occupied in my old age and I too have to sell what I make or I would have a house full as well, but you can still make a profit not enough to make a living but it keeps you in tools and the like
Jimbo 

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 09:50:20 pm »
I have been reading all the comments on this subject. I think we need to end it here.  We are all different people, and we all do things differently.  One thing is for sure we all like to make saw dust.  What do you say that we all appricate what the others do even if we do not agree with the way we think it should be done.  We all live in different parts of this country and the world, and people do things differently, and it is not our concern why they do it the way they do.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

tux_linux

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 04:41:25 am »
Jimbo, how does the NZ government see your activities?
In Germany I'm forced to open a business because I'm "producing and selling for the profit".
And I need to make a profit of it, or I'll have problems in 2-3 years as they will try to cut me down due to the fact that I don't make profit.

@ gene
we are discussing - what's wrong with that?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 06:24:00 am »
@gene, This is just an open discussion. No one is getting angry or mad or I would have stopped it already. So don't sweat it.  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

cherie

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 09:31:32 pm »
Well now I know!  Gene, please do not take everything the wrong way here.  These are a great bunch of people and are not out to start anything with anyone.  We all have our opinions and as the professionals or crafters we are, sometimes we are inclined to say things that others will not agree with.  A discussion board is open for opinions and a variety of ideas.  For some it is a great help, for others, well I will certainly &*^^ someone off here I am sure; for others its their way or no way.
As for myself, I do what I do because I enjoy it.  I am all the time being told that I undersell myself.  I sell by the way the economy is and where I live.  And it goes onto our website too.  If I make a profit (and I usually do), I do, and if I don't, well I made someone happy just selling them a hand made product which in my heart means so much more than receiving a store bought product.
I hope this clears up things a bit.  I know I have not posted here in a long time, have missed out on much.  But we all have busy lives, and mine certainly has been and has picked even more within the past couple of weeks since I learned how to turn pens.  I have a huge order to turn when I get the pen kits ordered that I need.  Plus I am learning how to design patterns for special orders.  All of which I have never done before.
As I always say "TO EACH HIS OWN"

SMF

Teknoromi