Author Topic: Finally started cutting wood  (Read 4145 times)

Tako Kichi

Re: Finally started cutting wood
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 11:49:22 pm »
Today I spent a couple of hours snooping around a number of stores in the next (larger) town trying to find a desktop magnifier/lamp unit. The ones I could find were either too small (magnifier 4" dia. or less), too flimsy (weak looking 'arms' prone to vibration issues), lamp too dim (a single LED) or too expensive for my pocket. Unfortunately places like 'Harbor Freight' do not exist in Canada.

However, while pondering various things I did come up with an idea! I managed to find an 8" x 10"  magnifier with a 2x Fresnel lens in Walmart's craft section. This thing is ideal as it has a large viewing area, is very clear and is very lightweight as it is made of plastic. The cost?.............a whopping $4.65 CDN!!!!

I also picked up a small aluminum 9 LED flashlight with a blindingly bright beam from another store for $3.00 CDN.

While I was standing in the store trying to figure out a way of mounting the flashlight my wife handed me a small package and said "Would this work?" What she had given me was a package of two 'Broom Clips' of the type used for hanging brooms on the wall. They turned out to be a perfect fit on the flashlight body and it means I can easily unclip the light if I need it to see somewhere else on the machine (like in the bottom tray after I have dropped the blade adapter for the N-th time! >:( ::)) The cost for these was $2.00 CDN for a pair.

So for less than $10.00 CDN I have the makings of a very nice magnifier/lamp setup.

I already have a suitable stand that I originally made as a grooming stand for our dog when he was a pup. As he has now outgrown it I can put it to a good alternative use and a little ingenuity on the bracket/clamp front should solve the remaining issues. I plan on taking photos of the 'build' and could post them on the 'Tips' forum if it is a successful project.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 12:05:31 am »
Now that's creative, and if / when it works you'll be able to say "I made it myself" such a satisfying feeling!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Tako Kichi

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 03:32:46 pm »
I made the magnifier/lamp stand and put a post up about it in the 'Tips' forum here.... http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=5491.0

RWEC

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 11:11:34 am »
Whoever said it is right, this getting old stuff is for the birds.

My eyes have gone as well. I use an old set of bifocals that coupled with the 3x's magnifier with a circular fluorescent do the trick. Have to play around to get just the right distance  from the magnifier but once I find the sweet spot it's all good.

Couldn't cut anything with any detail without both the light and the magnifier. I got one of the crane style with the dust lid as well.

Randy

SMF

Teknoromi