Author Topic: Bad luck on Excalibur EX30  (Read 4154 times)

mutora

Bad luck on Excalibur EX30
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:39:33 am »
Well my brand new Excalibur EX30 showed up today.  I've been using a Delta 16" scrollsaw for several years so was really looking forward to the new one.

Alas some difficulties arose.

First, the box was damaged.  The UPS guy was pretty cool about it and said he made a remark about possible content damage on his report.  Unfortunately this turned out to be true.  The tension adjustment knob on the rear of the upper arm had snapped off.  Not at the plastic but the bolt itself.  Also when set with blade perpendicular to the table, the blade almost rides on the right side of the hole in the table.  (not sure about that one). 

then I found out that with the arms locked into place, you can still wiggle the whole assembly a good amount.  I'm hoping this is just a screw that needs to be tightened inside.

so I get to make some calls tomorrow and see what can be done.  I'm hoping I can fix it here and not have to send it back considering the box is useless for shipping now LOL.

So.. I guess it's back to the old delta for a little while.  Will let you all know how things go.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Bad luck on Excalibur EX30
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:07:03 am »
That's a shame. Did you order it from Seyco?

mutora

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:59:11 am »
No i ordered it from Redmond machinery in GA.  Will be talking to them tomorrow too see if saw can be repaired.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:32:49 am »
It's up to them to pick it up and replace with new machine I would get on to Seyco if they don't come to the party a damaged machine is not a new one and no amount of repair work will make it like new, these are delicatly balanced machines and should be handle with the greatest respect in shipping
Jimbo

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 06:42:21 am »
Oh my, what a disappointment. I hope you get it worked out.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:20:48 am »
thats to bad, i experienced kind of the same thing one time i order a new guitar online when i got it come it was in two pieces. the head stock was completely broken of what a disappointment. took about a month or more for the company where i got it at to refund my money.   

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Bill P

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:24 am »
That is frustrating.  I'm glad to hear the UPS guy made written comment he did.  That should help.

Good luck.

Bill

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:31:29 am »
I am definitely with Jimbo on this one!
And I would definitely involve Seyco to get things rolling.

Good Luck....

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

mutora

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 12:20:50 pm »
The shpper is going to work with UPS and General International to send the saw back and send me a new one.  I'm glad because this was a great deal on the saw.  Saw + Stand + Footswitch for <$1000 shipped. hehe

mutora

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 03:28:10 pm »
Talked to a guy from General International yesterday.  He's shipping me out a new saw so got my fingers crossed that this one survives the trip.

Garp

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 06:26:12 pm »
Also when set with blade perpendicular to the table, the blade almost rides on the right side of the hole in the table.  (not sure about that one).

Hi Mutora

Sorry to here your bad luck with the delivery but it I hope its sorted out quickly.

Just to let you know my EX21's table blade slot was slightly offset ( not in the centre ) when delivered and all I had to do to is undo the four table bolts & move the table so its in the centre.

Yours may have been further out of wack due to the delivery damage but there is a little bit of tolerence in these holes. I checked the paintwork under the table were the bolts tighten up to see if there had been any damage to the paint ( in case of a knock ) there was none so I think the table was fitted at the factory slightly out.

Cheer's

mutora

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 04:45:16 am »
That's defniitely good to know about the table.  I'm just looking forward to actually getting to cut with one soon LOL.

mutora

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 12:15:42 pm »
Oh the irony of it.  The new saw is scheduled to arrive this wednesday (4/6).... The very day I'm scheduled to do a double at work... /sigh

mutora

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 12:37:58 pm »
WOOHOO! it's here!!!.

Actually got to play with it a bit before I have to get ready for work.  It cuts like a dream compared to my old Delta Shopmaster saw.  I forsee lots of sawdust in my future this weekend!.

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 12:59:08 pm »
glad to hear everything worked out, have fun
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

SMF

Teknoromi