Author Topic: warping problem  (Read 4140 times)

cherie

Re: warping problem
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 11:59:40 am »
I have been having the same problems on some larger flat projects such as the card I made for Jaun.  However, I was using hardwood, and I think it was poplar when it happened.  The part that I cut stayed flat, however, when I painted the backer it started to warp as I was painting it.  Now both pages of his card are warped.  I even clamped them together, laid heavy books on it and it still looks terrible.  The plus side to this?  The card stands up nicely by itself.
The Dragon Ball Z pics that I cut were from cheap Luan ply and they did not warp.  Whats the deal with that?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 11:05:19 pm »
Cherie, Did you use acrylic paints? They are water based. Adding water to a thin board will cause it to cup on the opposite side.
Dan In Southern California

dankc908

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 07:56:56 am »
I try to get to the lumberyard before they run the wood through either the "warper" or the "pre-warper""!  I'm not always successful.

cherie

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 08:07:48 am »
So i guess I should not use acrylic on wood?  Then what?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 08:46:40 am »
I know it's a pain but I use oil base paints. It never gives me a problem. That is going to change though they are slowly phasing them out. They are not good for the enviroment. I guess I am going to have to stock pile them then. LOL  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »
Cherie-
I use acrylics for any painting that I do.
If you are really painting for a solid color finish the board with a lacquer or poly or some sort of sealer. Finish both sides of the board. As someone said earlier do the same to both sides to prevent uneven moisture absorption. Once it is dry/cured sand smooth and paint away.
If you are using the paint in a lighter coat for a more "washing" effect (so you still see the grain) I have had luck getting the back side wet while painting then it all dries out together. I don't know if there is "science" to this method or if I am just lucky.
Katie (MrsN)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 12:46:18 pm »
Actually Katie is correct!
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 01:40:19 pm »
I have have been using oil base paints all my life and they work great on wood. Excellent coverage, looks great plenty of colors and I don't have to add the extra step of sealing the wood. Oil base stains are ten times better than water base.

The pain is you have to use mineral spirits to clean it up. Thats all.

Too each his own but I will take oil base over water base any day, any time.  8)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:43:38 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 06:22:59 pm »
I like oil paints, I just really hate mineral spirits. I have sensitive skin and if I get any on me or on anything I am going to touch soon I get an icky rash.

cherie

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 06:27:11 pm »
It was warping as I was putting the paint on.  I did not even have the whole thing covered or the part that was to be painted red.  LOL

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »
For obvious reasons I am NOT getting in the middle of that one!

But it is true...what you do to one side you must do to the other when using anything 'water based'...

Old Painter Knowledge. And True Old Painters still prefer Oil based finishes!

Nitrile Gloves are CHEAP!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi